ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Steel legend New build won't even boot to bios

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vendarien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steel legend New build won't even boot to bios
    Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 1:49am
Here is a link to my build.
I got it all together today. I plugged it in and turned on the psu, and the mobo lit up. I hit the power button, and all the fans and the gpu kicked in. There was no video output though, and the display on the mobo showed the code d4.

First I tried reseating everything, and switching the RAM around but nothing changed. I tried the hdmi on both the gpu and the mobo and their was nothing. Eventually I tried removing the gpu, and just ran of the cpus graphics.

This got the monitor to register that something was plugged in, and it started to display a single - in the middle of the screen. the start up process also got farther along but it stoped at code 99. I tried switching around the memory again, and removed every single thing plugged in other than the cpu gpu, and power button, with no changes.

My Google searches have turned up litte, but some people said they had to put a more compatible older cpu in and update the bios before using the 5600. I put in a 2600 and it only succeeded in changing the code from d4 to 4d. I tried almost every fix mentioned above with the 2600 as well and it changed nothing.

I also confirmed along the way that the mobo has bios v 1.20 which is supposed to be compatible with the 5600.
I even removed all the RAM and the error changed to code 10 which tells me it was seeing the ram

My father said he built a new pc recently and what ended up making it work was a weird cpu power set up. Both our boards have 1x 8 pin 12v cpu port, and 1x 4pin 12v cpu port.

0000 - 00
0000 - 00

He said he put a 4pin power connector on the right 4 pins of the 8 pin connector, and a 4pin connector on the 4 pin one.

0011 - 11
0011 - 11

He said this is what finally got his pc working. I tried the same thing, and every other possible combination, and the only thing that made a difference was leaving them all disconnected, which gave me code 00. I belive that just means it doesn't see the cpu though.

At this point I have completely run out of ideas though, and could realy use some help.
MadScientist View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadScientist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2021 at 3:04am
According to your build link you have a 5600G. Your current bios supports the 5000 series. You need to flash your MB to bios 1.9 that supports the 5000 G-series.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B550%20Steel%20Legend/#BIOS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic