ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B85M Pro4 no HDD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rigeria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B85M Pro4 no HDD
    Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 5:03am
Hey folks, 

One day my PC didn't start up in Windows as usual, but started into the Bios.
The Reason was that my HDD was not detected anymore. 

I first suspected the HDD or the cable to be at fault and replaced them with working ones but had no luck.
Updated the Bios and checked all the other Sata Ports no luck as well.
I reset the Bios, cleared the Cmos etc.

Bios is still working so I doubt my Mainboard is dead, but I highly doubt that all my Sata Ports died over 1 night.

Does someone have a solution what I could do else?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 5:22am
Have you tested the HDD in another machine? Mechanical drives fail all the time.
Rigeria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rigeria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 7:23am
Yeah I tested it on a working one. Working fine.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 2:30pm
Does any other drive detect on your board? 

Make sure your SATA controllers are enabled in BIOS under "Advanced\Storage configuration" then set them to IDE mode for compatibility.

Also be sure that the SATA cable used is SATA3 compliant, I have noticed that if you plug a SATA1 standard cable into a SATA3 port it can cause the system to fail to post or simply not detect the drive connected. I say this because connecting the same drive and cable to a SATA1 or 2 port on another board allows the device to be detected and function. In other words, if the cable was not compatible with your board it may still have worked in another system if that system uses SATA2 or older.

Does the drive spin up and initialize in the system? If you put your ear to it you should hear it begin to spin followed by some activity.
Rigeria View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rigeria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 1:17pm
Nope nothing gets detected.

The system was working fine until the hdd stopped getting detected.
So I can count out that the cables or Bios settings are wrong (double checked).

The HDD spins and I can actually feel when it is under power. Also tested on another PC to check if its faulty. Not the case here.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 2:49pm
If you have checked everything I listed the only thing left that could be wrong are the ports themselves Unhappy
If the board was a recent purchase then you can RMA it, if not you will need to replace it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic