ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow render/high temp with Win 10 & Extreme 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dka56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow render/high temp with Win 10 & Extreme 4
    Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 4:19am
I've been trying to figure out what is exactly happening but here's the scenario...

I built this PC around last summer/fall ...Extreme 4, i7 4790k, 8gb Dominator 1600, Win 7 home. I render videos with Sony Vegas and everything seems to work well, my render times are decent and can average slightly above real-time rendering with no FX added.

I just recently upgraded to Win 10, I didn't change anything except for the upgade. My render times were doubled and my CPU throttled back due to excessive heat....98-99 deg C.

I didn't really check the temps beforehand, but I did monitor the drop in CPU performance with the temp rise and they go hand in hand with Win 10 upgrade.

I updated pretty much all the drivers for the mobo, including Ver 2.3 for the BIOS. The BIOS update did keep the CPU working near 100% which was an improvement but the temps are still high on Turbo mode @ around 4.3-4.3 Ghz and the big issue I see is the CPU fan doesn't really speed up anymore.

I disabled Turbo and it will stay at 4 Ghz and 68 deg but the fan is still quiet.

Before it would spin up the fan quickly and have no issues with rendering, any thoughts on this? Also my v-core volts are 1.03-1.04 and this seems low, same volts under load as idle.

I updated the BIOS as well as:

XFast Lan
Smart Connect
A-Tuning
3TB Unlocker
Rapid Storage
MEI
INF

Tried VGA but it said my system didn't meet requirements....?

All thoughts appreciated.

Soft Brick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soft Brick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 6:38am
You did not check your temps right after you built your PC, or you did not check your temps after updating?
If it is first option, then I would suspect that your cpu was overheating all that time (before Win 10).

If all you changed was an OS update, then it is indeed probably a software related issue. Check if CPU fan is detected in Bios, if it is, check its speed profile. Make sure speed profile is set on something like performance rather than silent.

Does your CPU cooler fan spin at all? If it doesn't, check if you CPU cooler fan is properly connected to the motherboard.
 If CPU fan is spinning, I would still suggest replacing thermal compound

Edited by Soft Brick - 15 Feb 2016 at 7:07am
dka56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dka56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 7:23am
I did check the temps and they didn't do anything to alarm me. Anytime the CPU worked the fan would spin up a little, never did the CPU throttle down to keep temps low, always ran 100% at render with no issues.

With Win 10, the CPU would throttle down during a render to keep temps under 98ish deg. The CPU fan is spinning but nothing spins up any faster than when it's at idle...fan speed is set at full.

I ran Vegas in Win 7 compatibility mode with no changes. Could be the fact Vegas doesn't pair well with Win 10 but I'm curious about the CPU temps and the fact the fan doesn't speed up. I do have another cooler coming but I didn't have this problem with Win 7.

I'm sure it's something simple, just need to figure it out.
dka56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dka56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 9:02am
Is there a way I can fully control the CPU fan speed? Is 2000 RPM the max it runs at? Also, what about the V-core volts..should they be this low?

This was from a recent MPEG-2 render, I can get near 100% for a MPEG-2 render but a MP4 I can only achieve maybe 40% on CPU usage so those renders are very slow.

Edited by dka56 - 15 Feb 2016 at 9:19am
GripS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GripS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 11:49am
Your CPU should never ever throttle under the heaviest of applications if your cooling is adequate under the voltage being supplied. NEVER use turbo/ auto OC modes as they tend to over volt under load. OC manually or don't at all. You should be able to find someone with settings from a similar setup that you could use as a starting point. 

Are you using the stock intel fan that came with the chip? That's a no-no if you plan on OC'ing at all. Get an aftermarket cooler if you don't have one yet. Also I don't see any case fans indicated in your screenshot. You might have them all hooked up to the PSU leads?

Edited by GripS - 15 Feb 2016 at 11:56am
dka56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dka56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 12:45pm
I do have them hooked to the molex since the case has a fan speed control but I would like them on the MB...may look into that.

I didn't have any immediate plans to OC the chip when I built the rig, but was going to in the future....I do have a D15 cooler coming in the next couple days so I will wait for that to arrive before any OC'ng.

I may have had the Turbo enabled thinking it would be fine with the stock cooler as long as I didn't change anything else...but apparently that's not the case so I have it disabled for now.

What's going on now is my v core volts are low and they stay low under load. During a render with turbo disabled, my volts are 1.03-1.04. They will rise as far as 1.39 under Turbo @ 4.5 Ghz which is a little high.

So I definitely need to get the new cooler in there and go from there...yes, the load and volts are all over the place so after the cooler is upgraded we can figure out the rest.

I'm still unsure of the stock cooler fan speed...is 2000 RPM the max or should it be higher under load?
GripS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GripS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 7:40am
Max speed for the stock intel cooler is 2500 rpm for your chip. At stock clock speeds with turbo disabled I would expect the voltages you are showing. As far as the load and volts being 'all over the place' this is normal with CPU States and Intel Speedstep Technology enabled (which is default). When the CPU is not under load, it will reduce clock speed to conserve energy by reducing the multiplier and decreasing the vcore automatically. When the CPU is called to do an intensive task, it will increase voltage and multiplier to the max stock value (with turbo/Auto OC disabled). Hopefully I'm making sense. You may want to read up on it more if not.
dka56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dka56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 7:53am
That makes sense, should explain why the renders are slower. I will try again tomorrow after the cooler goes in...I just can't figure out why it started after the Windows upgrade.

My CPU usage never throttled down before during a render. A 5 min MP4 render kept the CPU at 100%, now it won't go past 40%. Likely a Windows bug....not sure.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2016 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by dka56 dka56 wrote:

I've been trying to figure out what is exactly happening but here's the scenario...

I built this PC around last summer/fall ...Extreme 4, i7 4790k, 8gb Dominator 1600, Win 7 home. I render videos with Sony Vegas and everything seems to work well, my render times are decent and can average slightly above real-time rendering with no FX added.

I just recently upgraded to Win 10, I didn't change anything except for the upgade. My render times were doubled and my CPU throttled back due to excessive heat....98-99 deg C.

I didn't really check the temps beforehand, but I did monitor the drop in CPU performance with the temp rise and they go hand in hand with Win 10 upgrade.

I updated pretty much all the drivers for the mobo, including Ver 2.3 for the BIOS. The BIOS update did keep the CPU working near 100% which was an improvement but the temps are still high on Turbo mode @ around 4.3-4.3 Ghz and the big issue I see is the CPU fan doesn't really speed up anymore.

I disabled Turbo and it will stay at 4 Ghz and 68 deg but the fan is still quiet.

Before it would spin up the fan quickly and have no issues with rendering, any thoughts on this? Also my v-core volts are 1.03-1.04 and this seems low, same volts under load as idle.

I updated the BIOS as well as:

XFast Lan
Smart Connect
A-Tuning
3TB Unlocker
Rapid Storage
MEI
INF

Tried VGA but it said my system didn't meet requirements....?

All thoughts appreciated.

ASRock has many Extreme4 model boards. Since you are using an i7-4790K, I assume you may have either a Z87 Extreme4 or Z97 Extreme4 board. There are a few variants of Extreme4 boards for both chipsets, the Z87M Extreme4 for example. What board are you using? Most likely the Z97 Extreme4.

All of the following assumes the software being used is running in a compatible environment. You went from Win 7 to Win 10, while using the same version of Sony Vegas? Do you know the software is compatible with Win 10?

Don't forget what you did when you updated the drivers for Win 10. You also updated to UEFI/BIOS version 2.30. That sets all the options in the UEFI/BIOS to there default values, including fan speed control.

We have no idea if you initially adjusted the CPU coolers fan profile, or chose a different one. That could explain your fan speed situation, although once the CPU reaches 80C, the CPU fan should run at full speed regardless of the profile being used.

You said in another post you set the CPU cooler's fan to full speed, but wondered why it does not spin faster when the CPU is hotter? If the fan is always at full speed, how can it go faster?

All Haswell processors like yours run hot, the stock Intel CPU cooler is woefully inadequate for use with rendering software that has the CPU load at 100% for any length of time, or much less than 100%. If your idle CPU temperature is 68C, that leaves very little headroom for heavy CPU usage.

The CPU cooler alone is not responsible for cooling the CPU. Your PC case must provide cool air to the CPU cooler so it can do its job more efficiently.

Your VCore with Auto settings and no Turbo in the UEFI and no OC will stay at near stock values and not increase substantially on its own. If you are throttling the CPU and reach 100% CPU usage with your current VCore settings, the LAST thing you want to do is increase the voltage. That will only increase your CPU temperature and cause throttling to occur earlier.

You mentioned "only 40% CPU usage" when rendering an MP4 file. Only two things can cause a limit to the CPU usage when using specific software for a task; either the software's load on the CPU is only 40%, or the CPU is throttling to 40%.

I suppose the speed of the media source of the data being rendered could affect the load on the CPU, such as a USB flash drive vs a SSD, but again that is not related to the CPU.

The idea that something allows software to run the CPU at 100% usage, or limits CPU usage to a lower amount can only be related to throttling or the lack of throttling of the CPU.

While there are multiple things that can cause processor throttling, such as Thermal, Power, and Current limits being exceeded, and even the CPU VRMs throttling themselves due to over heating, they are all related to the CPU, or the CPU's power source. This is not a driver or software limitation, except as I stated above.

I've only touched on a few of the things that are affecting your current situation, many of them related to UEFI/BIOS option settings. We have almost no idea what you have done with the UEFI options, besides being at default settings.
dka56 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dka56 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 6:24am
Update to this....forst, sorry about the MB info..it's an Extreme 4 Z97.

The version of the software I was using just doesn't work well with Win 10. I used a trial version of the most recent and it works much better.

I updated all of my drivers for the MB, web browser, etc to Win 10 and this has helped tremendously.

I did have the bios set to defaults so it would only reach 4.4 on turbo but there are additional OC's of 4.5, 4.6, & 4.7 that are not designed for the stock cooler.

I did upgrade the cooler to a D15 and everything is working great....many thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic