ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boot Up Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruceam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boot Up Problem
    Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 5:01am
I have just completed putting my new workstation together.  Everything works, MOSTLY!!!

I have an X99 WS-E Motherboard with and Intel I7 5960X 3000MHz CPU, 64 GB RAM, an Nvidia Quadro M4000 with 8GB Video RAM, and 500 GB M.2 SSD upon which I have successfully installed Debian 8.3 Linux (which runs just fine, after the system finally boots up).

After the computer has been "off" for about a day, the boot up process halts (after the boot device selection, and the GRUB boot screen have successfully displayed).  The boot stops with the error message "XZ-compression data is corrupt  -- system halted".  Once I restart, enter the BIOS Setup screen, save (even if I don't make any changes), then reboot (which for this system means the power goes completely off for about 5 to 10 seconds), the system will boot up normally and operates normally.  The only thing I could think of that could be causing this is a bad CMOS Memory Keeper Battery.  But on a brand new motherboard?!?!?  What could cause this issue, and how do I address the it?  If it is a battery issue, what battery should I get to put on the motherboard?

Thank You In Advanced
bruceam
ToNaPaiTech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToNaPaiTech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 7:03am
this is a start: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=144116
bruceam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruceam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 7:21am
ToNaPaiTech
Thank you for the lead.  I will investigate and see if it leads me anywhere.

Thanks Again!

Thank You In Advanced
bruceam
bruceam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruceam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2016 at 4:42am
Thank you everyone who helped diagnose this issue. I believe I have finally found it!

When I went into the BIOS setup to check the memory (DRAM) settings, I found that the defaults (which were supposed to be auto detected by the motherboard, and based on the particular hardware installed) were not in close agreement with the specifications for the memory from the manufacturer. It took a lot of attempts to get thing to work reliably and the way I want them too, but FINALLY!!!

I suspect the autodetect feature of the motherboard was incorrectly loading memory settings on the initial boot up. Most likely having something to do with when in the bootup sequence the autodetect took place. As stated in the problems description, once I had gone into the BIOS saved and exited (even if I didn't change anything), the system would boot properly. I suspect that this "detour" to the BIOS settings during bootup, gave the autodetect function sufficient time to work properly or allowed the actual hardware sufficient time to respond correctly.

I used the manufacturer's DRAM settings, which I looked up earlier, in the BIOS setup. Actually, I still allow the motherboard to autodetect the the exact settings, but I have specified the correct type of memory and memory overall speed for the unit to query within. This narrowed the range of acceptable responses the autodetect could provide. Now when I boot up, everything works the way it is supposed to.

Once again, Thank Your For Your Input and Assistance

Bruceam 

Thank You In Advanced
bruceam
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic