ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 - M.2 NVME Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gilldesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 - M.2 NVME Issues
    Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 4:22pm
Hello, a have a board Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 from 2017. Usualy worked Ok until 1 year ago whne i decided to finaly move to M.2 drive. I was using SSD-s without any issues. 1 year ago i puted the first M.2 NVME - ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro 256GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280.

After 8 months of use (without problems) suddenly the drive asked me to fill in password as being locked. But i never locked it and is not even a drive with PSID capabilities. I tryed everything but the drive shows unformated ..in every posible OS/BIOS/DOS?linux and was not able to format it..or do anything to it. I sent it back to provider and was replaced with a new one. After another 3 months happened the same.

Sent i back to provider and refunded the money and purchased another drive a diferent brand and capacity: Kingston NV1 500GB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280.

All went fine until a few restarrts/shut downs and begined to not boot..Dr. Debug is showing the code Fb (or F6) and system is not booting stuck at first black screen. If i power it down and power it again is booting but often happens the stuck issue.

I tryed several setting in BIOS but i still got the issue...maybe some1 have a clue what can be done...maybe a certain setting wich i don't know.

If any1 can help i can provide any info/scrrenschots necesary to better view the issue/settings/configuration.

Tx in advance.

RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2022 at 9:55pm
Wipe the drive and reinstall. My guess is a virus or other malware.
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Gilldesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gilldesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 2:54pm
The first 2 drive's ( Adata XPG Gammix 256 Gb) that I?™ve used before, from the moment they became "locked" and "unformatted" where in GOD Mode - impossible to wipe. I really know to wipe a drive in many ways ..but this 2 one's where really invulnerable to any kind of action delete/wipe/format...under any operating system possible. No need to mention that i've booted from USB in Parted Magic (Linux) and several other Linux/DOS/OSX etc..but the drives where unusable...unformatted...completely invulnerable to anything..
The last (actual) drive is working, but sometimes the BIOS can't initialize at all. I power ON the PC and is getting stuck at the first black screen - without passing the BIOS and the only way to move forward is to push the power button. The PC goes Off and I power it On again and works normally that turn.
Once I even had a different scenario. Two days ago I turned the PC On and it goes directly into BIOS and the M.2 was completely missing in BIOS. I power cycled the PC and the M.2 NVME was back on and booted properly??
If I?™m not using the M.2 NVME drive and just booting from another SATA SSD drive the issue is absent, so I presume it has something to do with the M.2 NVME drive - some Fault..some bad BIOS setting...some Compatibility issue...or just a malfunction of the motherboard.
Maybe because this Mother board is from the first generations including M.2 has some compatibility issues?¦maybe I can?™t really properly use a M.2 NVME PCI-e 3.0 x4 (I wanted to get the best speed?¦but seems that has serious issues??
Or probably some BIOS expert could make the right setting somewhere in the BIOS and help NVME to have a better compatibility.

Maybe..who knows...i?™m trying to figure it out..
RLGL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RLGL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 2:42am
Are the drives partitioned as GP?
Asrock Z370 Gaming K6,Intel i7 8700K,
Asrock x570 Taichi

Gilldesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gilldesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2022 at 2:16pm
In the end i went with buying a standalone adapter card from pci-ex to m.2 nvme and this way is working properly. I guess the onboard m.2 port is not reliable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic