ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does a broken off PCI-E latch void warranty.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hideinlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does a broken off PCI-E latch void warranty.
    Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 4:12pm
I have kinda a dilemma,  where my motherboard died the other day, PC simply wouldn't turn on.
Now the problem is a few months ago, when I tried to remove a GPU, I didn't release the latch properly and it broke off when I tried to remove the GPU. Screws kept everything in place and the board ran fine up until the other day so it never really bothered me apart from being slightly annoyed for being caught out by that dumb latch.

The motherboard is a H61M-DPS, and I can't find any other LGA1155 boards that can support my Xeon, so am I screwed because of plastic latch?
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 4:20pm
It's worth a try contacting Tech Support and asking them directly. I am not sure what the policy is regarding physical damage and what constitutes a voided warranty. I do know that any kind of physical modification like cutting heatsinks etc will void warranty.

When you say the PC wouldn't turn on do you mean nothing happens when you push the power button or does the system power up and not post? Did you make any changes to the system around the time it stopped working? When power is connected to the system and the PSU is on are there any LEDs lit up on the board, like LAN etc? Try attaching your reset switch to the power btn header and power up with that, it will rule out a bad switch, or if you know how you can try simply bridging the power btn header with a screwdriver to power on.

If nothing at all happens when you push the power button I would try another PSU before writing off the board. More often than not the PSU is the cause for complete power on failure. 

Let us know what you have tried and the answers to the questions here.
hideinlight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hideinlight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 4:25pm
Completely dead, no fans spinning, no lights, no signs of powering on. Bread boarded it eventually until the cpu remained, tried another power switch, nothing.

At first I thought it was the psu, but then I tested it on another pc and that one worked. The board doesn't seem be getting any power at all.

Number one rule though is, fans must spin no matter what, but that isn't the case.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 4:56pm
Did you remove the CPU from the socket and check for burning/warping/other anomalies? It sounds like there may be a short somewhere and the board's safety features are kicking in. 

Try taking to tech support about the latch, you may get lucky.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic