ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

|Extremely long boot time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gadgetmadman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: |Extremely long boot time
    Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 7:16pm
I Have an Intel Core i5 with 16GB DDR4 and boot to a M.2 PCIE SSD.  However, it takes about 5 minutes to boot although all seems to be fine when I get there. The motherboard is new and so I am using the original BIOS which is untouched.  I have no idea where the problem lies so any suggestions are welcome!  I tried to fill in their support form but it failed to post as I evidently "did not select a problem" - but it bets me where I do that......
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2016 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by gadgetmadman gadgetmadman wrote:

I Have an Intel Core i5 with 16GB DDR4 and boot to a M.2 PCIE SSD.  However, it takes about 5 minutes to boot although all seems to be fine when I get there. The motherboard is new and so I am using the original BIOS which is untouched.  I have no idea where the problem lies so any suggestions are welcome!  I tried to fill in their support form but it failed to post as I evidently "did not select a problem" - but it bets me where I do that......

It seems you have a Skylake system, given the few clues you gave us. Wink

It might help to know what mother board you have, the M.2 SSD you are using, and what version of Windows you are using. Is the Windows installation on the M.2 SSD new, or did you clone an existing installation?

Five minutes to boot is very long, but starting a PC is really two main processes. The first is POST, where hardware is checked, and then the process of actually booting/running the OS is started.

If you have the little POST beep speaker connected to your board, you would know when POST ends when you hear the single beep that POST finished fine. At that point booting the OS begins.

Slow start up can be caused by certain hardware, like old HDDs taking a long time to get started, or USB devices slowing down POST.

We are in the questions phase of diagnosing your situation, so the more information you provide, the better.

If you are referring to this support form: http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

There is a required field named Problem Type, where you select a problem from a drop down list. This field is in the PRODUCT INFORMATION section.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic