ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 pro4s problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apoksenosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 pro4s problem
    Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 4:33am
Hi,

I'm facing a very strange problem with my mobo :

My setup is

Windows 10
Asrock Z170 PR4S (with latest firmware 3.10)
i5 6600k
evo 212 (cpu fan)
r9 390 msi
corsair cx 650 
G.Skill TridentZ 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4-3200MHz (CL16)

My PC freezes when i try to boot in windows 10 with default bios settings and stock cpu clock . If i change manually the core voltage to 1.29v then it boots normally . 

i also had random freezes in UEFI from when i first build this system (1 month ago) .

I clear the cmos removed the battery  but still i cant boot with default bios settings , i can boot in windows only  if i change the core voltage to a fixed value.

Now i'm running the cpu voltage in offset mode (100mV) and LLC 2 at 4.2gz  and the pc is working fine (tested with prime95).But if i change back to default clock speed and default bios setting i cant boot in windows the pc freezes  or i'm getting a BSOD ("MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION").  

Is the mobo problematic ? is the 3.10 bios causing the problem ?

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:28am
That is odd behavior. Using offset mode are your voltages regulating to load? I mean is the core voltage for the CPU lowering under low use scenarios? 

Did this issue exist before you updated the BIOS or was that done prior to OS installation?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 12:40pm
Did you install Windows 10 yourself, or is that a free upgrade installation?

Do you know what the default core voltage is in the H/W Monitoring screen in the UEFI/BIOS?

When you are using default settings for the core voltage, is your memory running at 3200?
apoksenosi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apoksenosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:36pm
I installed the windows 10 by my self i did not upgrade.

With bios 3.0 i was on default settings and had no problems .

If i remember (i'm at work right now ) the default vcore  with the default bios seting is at 1.10 ~1.12V

Regarding the memory i tried  with the deafult settings (2133) , with the xmp profile  and with manual entry of the timing and speed but with no luck .

Now i'm running at 4.2gz with offset mode (100mV) and its working fine ( voltages under load at ~1.23 and idle at ~0,7V), i passed the prime 95 without errors , my memory is at 3200 with no problems etc..

But if i turn back to default bios setting the pc freezes at the windows logo and i'm getting a BSOD.

Also at times the UEFI freezes  as well (for now i'm using only the keyobard to change the settings in UEFI as it seems the mouse is causing the freeze or maybe its random ).

You think its a bios firmware problem ?

Edited by apoksenosi - 24 Mar 2016 at 4:22pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apoksenosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 2:47am
update :

i just had a freeze ! playing the division . I increased the offset from 100 to 110 to see if it will help .

You think i have a bad mobo or a bad bios flash ?

peroni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peroni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 10:20pm
Why don't you try to go back to bios 3.0? 
Assuming you have saved a 3.0 configuration file on a usb drive, it takes less than two minutes to revert back.

Z170 PRO4
i5 6600
2x8GB Corsair DDR3000
SSD 950 Pro (OS) 850 Evo (data)
GTX 960 4GB
2x LCD

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apoksenosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by peroni peroni wrote:

Why don't you try to go back to bios 3.0? 
Assuming you have saved a 3.0 configuration file on a usb drive, it takes less than two minutes to revert back.

Hi peroni,

I don't have a saved 3.0 configuration ....is it possible to flash (downgrade) to previous(3.0)  bios ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apoksenosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 4:50am
Hi Guys,

i tried 3.0 bios but with no luck ...i' still facing the same problem .

I'm now running on default settings (i5 6600k - 3500/3900gz) with vCore in offset mode 150mV (LLC 1 )

Is this normal and safe ? everything worked fine before in auto/default settings but now i can only boot with the above settings. 

I contacted asrock support but they ended up to suggest me to return my mobo to my dealer for further checking .

I'm going to try with a new 750w  power supply  and if that wont work i'm going to return the mobo .

its so frustrating and strange because everything worked  perfectly before  and i dint add any new hardware . 
The only think i did was to overclock (4.4gz)  with a fixed vcore of 1.35v but when i changed back to default settings i couldn't  boot in windows 10 (BSOD with the machine_check_exception message)  

Edited by apoksenosi - 30 Mar 2016 at 4:52am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apoksenosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 1:11am
Problem solved!

It was a bad cpu, i just received a replacement and everything works fine.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2016 at 2:40am
That would explain the behavior, thanks for updating us Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic