ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - h97 pro4 giving 4 short beeps and will not post
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

h97 pro4 giving 4 short beeps and will not post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChatWithaNinja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: h97 pro4 giving 4 short beeps and will not post
    Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 10:57am
I've got a 2 week old h97 pro4 that was working like a champ then it just stopped booting up. 
The first symptom was that it would beep once and then try to power up in an endless loop. 
I replaced the RAM with the RAM from my personal PC and it is now at least turning on. 
I get 4 short beeps and nothing at all on the monitor. 
I've removed all cards. 
I've cleared the CMOS
I've removed the CMOS battery to clear the clock/timer. 

Is there a different beep code for the h97 pro4? 

Thanks!
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2015 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by ChatWithaNinja ChatWithaNinja wrote:

I've got a 2 week old h97 pro4 that was working like a champ then it just stopped booting up. 
The first symptom was that it would beep once and then try to power up in an endless loop. 
I replaced the RAM with the RAM from my personal PC and it is now at least turning on. 
I get 4 short beeps and nothing at all on the monitor. 
I've removed all cards. 
I've cleared the CMOS
I've removed the CMOS battery to clear the clock/timer. 

Is there a different beep code for the h97 pro4? 

Thanks!

No, the POST beep codes are those of the current AMI UEFI type firmware.

Four short beeps means a memory error. The memory from your other PC is probably not compatible with the H97 Pro4 system. What CPU and board is in the PC you took the memory from? What CPU is in the H97 Pro4 system?

I don't understand something about your description of the problem. To start with, this:

"The first symptom was that it would beep once and then try to power up in an endless loop. "

A single beep means the POST process completed successfully, including the memory test which passed fine. I don't see any indication of a memory problem so far.

Your description sounds like a "boot loop", which could be caused by a few different things. It sounds like your OS (Windows?)  would not start loading, and the PC would immediately seem to restart itself, and you would hear the single POST beep again. Is that correct? Did the PC shut off completely during this cycle, and turn back on again?

To continue:

"I replaced the RAM with the RAM from my personal PC and it is now at least turning on. 
I get 4 short beeps and nothing at all on the monitor. "

You lost me on the "... it is now at least turning on." .

The four short beeps indicate a memory problem or incompatibility. That is from a very early test during POST. The PC is basically brain dead in that situation, and normally remains on but since POST has stopped nothing else is being started up in the PC. A blank screen is all you would get.

Your PC apparently completed POST fine before you tried the other memory, if you heard the single beep meaning POST finished successfully.

I would suggest putting the original memory back in that PC, clear the CMOS again, and try to start the PC but go directly into the BIOS, if you can. If the BIOS works, check the status of the boot/OS drive in the Advanced > Storage Configuration screen, and check the boot order in the Boot screen. That is to try to verify the drive is Ok and the problem is something else.

Let us know how far you get.

pczombie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pczombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 12:15am
hi,

I have 4 beeps. using 4 x 4GB g.skill ripjaws all DDR3 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24

1.50v

tested all four sticks they work fine. I can use two sticks in A1 and A2 and the system runs fine.

I can use any of the four sticks in A1 and A2 no problems.

As soon as I try to use ports B1 and B2 beep beep beep beep!

updated bios. reset cmos. faulty board i suppose. Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic