ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS update hung at 86%, what now?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS update hung at 86%, what now?
    Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 3:30pm
just built a new system with ASRock Z170M Extreme4 mobo. powered up, all looked nice in BIOS. i had heard that it was best to update BIOS asap on a new system.

connected ethernet, started internet flash, download of BIOS 1.70 completed, BIOS update began, got up to 86% "Processing crashless feature ..." and it hung there. waited 30 minutes, nothing happening, had no choice (afaik) but to power down.

of course no joy on restart, BSOD and now dead in the water.

looked on the ASRock site, in the Download section, it says:
"If the Flash Memory Writer utility was not able to successfully update a complete BIOS file, your system may not be able to boot up. If this happens, your system will need service."

is that really it? there's nothing i can do?

please advise.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 6:08pm
Clear CMOS using this method. If it crashed during the crashless feature portion of the update you should be OK after a BIOS clear. 

For future reference a few things to note:

1. Never power off the system when updating the BIOS, always use the reset button if there is a crash.
2. Always use the instant flash method with a fat32 formatted flash drive containing the BIOS for your board downloaded from your product page, it is by far the safest flash method.
3. If you encounter a bad flash and the board will no longer post you can purchase a new BIOS chip directly from ASRock here preflashed to the version of your choosing.

Good luck
gearhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:17am
thank you for the reply, good info and a couple things there i'll follow up on. thanks again.

as it happens i found another -- more direct -- solution to my problem. poking around i saw it suggested that for recent generation ASRock boards that do not have A/B BIOS control one should __try__ the following (no guarantees):

- clear CMOS using the 10-minute time-out + jumper approach .
- format a USB key with FAT32.
- copy the BIOS of choice to the USB key.
- reboot with the USB key in place.
- cross fingers and wait, "if you're lucky the firmware will load from the USB key".

that's what i tried and it worked exactly as described. there was a considerable delay between the time i powered up and the point at which something came up on screen -- the BIOS loading from the USB -- but it eventually did its thing and i was soon back in business. minutes later my OS was loaded -- fyi, linux -- and i was happily booting from disk like a real person.

my other ASRock board is a Z97 Extreme6 and it does have A/B BIOS control which has got me out of trouble a couple times. i guess i just assumed all their recent boards had it and i never checked before getting this new board. one lesson learned today: i'll NEVER again buy a mobo that doesn't have some version of A/B BIOS control, it ain't worth the headaches.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 1:04am
Glad to hear you got it up and running Thumbs Up

Dual BIOS is a great feature. What I like about ASRock boards is that even when there isn't a dual BIOS setup you can always order a new BIOS chip if everything goes south Cool

The only ASRock boards I have seen that do not have a socketed BIOS ROM are the SoC boards like the N3150 or J1900. Given the cost of those and the fact that they have a CPU built onto them though I can understand why they wouldn't bother, its not like they need frequent BIOS updates to support new CPUs etc.
gearhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 12:42pm
i ran across an interesting post that opened my eyes regarding the issue of BIOS recovery as handled by the different board manufacturers. in BIOS recovery options by manufacturer the guy says of ASRock:
Quote Dual BIOS - Only on high end boards, double DIP sockets.
BIOS recovery - High end boards have dual BIOS. Nothing for the low end boards except replacing the chip.
BIOS socketed - Yes

You gotta send off for a new chip if you wreck your Asrock single chip BIOS.

he goes on to provide a similar summary for Asus, Gigabyte and MSI. interesting stuff! i'll certainly be limiting my future ASRock purchases to the higher-end, dual BIOS boards. and i'll be taking Gigabyte motherboards a little more seriously:

Quote Dual BIOS - Yes, on all boards
BIOS recovery - Automatically switches to the 2nd BIOS when the first  one is messed up. High end boards may have a manual switch like the MSI  boards.
BIOS socketed - No, soldered.
Mr.D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 6:55am
Hi Gearhead,
I was wonder how you went about flashing your BIOS with the USB key:

- Did you do the full CMOS documented approach?
- Which version of BIOS did you copy to the USB key? Instant Flash version?
- How long did you approximately wait?

Thanks in advance!Smile
Thanks Mr.D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic