ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme7+ Shut Down Problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMGala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 11:54pm
Thank you again for the detailed reply.  I hope this thread becomes very helpful for other people who may run into similar issues, and your explanations certainly make things easier to understand.

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

When the non-shutdown, no POST or OS boot situation you had occurs, the PC never went through the POST process, or the boot process, right? It never shutdown, and just goes right back to a booted OS desktop.

Therefore I cannot take anything shown on the Dr. Debug display seriously in the non-shutdown, no POST or OS boot, back to the desktop situation. Code 00 is a CPU failure of some kind. If the CPU failed, how can the OS be running? That code happens to correspond to the first test done by POST, so the display might simply have it ready for a POST process to occur.

How the Dr. Debug display functions during a non POST process situation, I don't understand. But as long as the POST process is not happening, anything displayed on Dr. Debug when the POST process is clearly not happening is meaningless. Plus the OS kept running, so nothing went wrong besides the shutdown failure, which is not related to POST at all.

I don't know what is shown on the Dr. Debug display on my PC when it shuts down. Frankly I'm not watching it, since there is no reason to do so. Since POST was not happening, and my PC shutdown correctly, any spurious, random POST codes that appear on the display are meaningless.

I apologize for perhaps not explaining this properly earlier.  I basically faced different issues when running my old ram at the default 2133 MHz, and when trying to run it with XMP enabled.

RAM @ Default Settings: The computer would POST "properly" when I turned it on and it booted Windows.

Upon initiating Shutdown in Windows, sometimes, Windows would shut down, and then the motherboard would shut off after 10-15 seconds of displaying "00" on Dr. Debug.

The other times, however, Windows would still shut down, but then the motherboard would remained powered on and "frozen" with the "00" Dr. Debug code.  It would not go back into Windows.  Holding down my power button did nothing.  I had to power cycle by flipping my PSU switch, and only then could I turn the computer back on and enter Windows again.

RAM @ XMP Settings: The computer would POST "properly" when I turned it on and it booted Windows.

Upon Windows shut down, I would have the issue of the board being stuck on with "00".

Basically, the "00" code would not show when Windows was active, only during initial POST and then after Windows had shut down.

Also, to answer one of your questions, when I load the UEFI, the codes I see are A2->A9->A6, where it sits until I exit the UEFI.

Yes, my board has the Dehumidifier function, which I don't use, and is disabled. It's in the Tools screen.

Here is a picture of my UEFI main screen, showing the version info:

Here is a picture of my Tools screen, where I don't seem to have the Dehumidifier function:

I know it may be silly to worry about a feature that I mostly likely won't ever use, but just the fact that it's missing makes me wonder if there is something wrong with my board.  Maybe I should just contact ASRock and see what they say.

I see what happened to your Hibernate option now, you removed it via non-conventional means (meaning outside of normal Windows operations) with the Samsung Magician software. That seems to do a Windows Registry edit that causes the option to be completely removed.

While both Hibernate and Fast Startup depend upon a file written to the OS drive to work, the Fast Startup file is smaller and different than the Hibernate file. The only time a Hibernate file is created is if you specifically select Hibernate instead of Sleep or Shutdown.

I'm long past the "wear out the SSD with too many writes" paranoia, and don't bother to do any of those kind of SSD write reduction tweaks anymore. If a drive of any kind can't be used without babying it, it's not worth using. The irony of "knowing" when NAND memory will wear out (any SSD ever endurance tested surpassed its NAND specs and Total Bytes Written specs by such a large margin it was amazing) created the concern for its lifetime. Meanwhile HDDs never provide a specification similar to NAND for the magnetic media it uses. So while HDD media lifetime is unknown, we worry about SSD NAND lifetime? Confused

The Magician software and its various options for configuring the SSD environment are kinda funny, some of them contradict what the others say. Each option plays to the audience that chose it.

I read up more about this after reading your post, and I agree that I shouldn't worry so much about the NAND lifetime.  I'm going to enable Hibernate and see if Fast Startup works for me.

Edited by AMGala - 03 May 2016 at 9:03pm
blazeaglory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazeaglory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 11:09pm
Hello all! sorry to resurrect this thread but Im having this same exact issue with:

Windows 10
Asrock Extreme9 Z97
16GB RAM XMP to 2400 (used for a year in my old ASUS with zero issues)
i5 4690k OC to 4.6ghz

Everything runs GREAT but upon shutdown, sleep, or restart it seems everything shuts down but doesnt "turn off". Pressing the corresponding button (ie: power, restart) does what it is supposed to do. But if not pressed, computer just sits as if its a second away from shutting down/restarting. NO CODES!

I dont think its a RAM thing because my RAM was working fine, maybe a BIOS issues with this motherboard? Im using DDR3 RAM.

Thank You!

Edited by blazeaglory - 24 Sep 2017 at 11:10pm
blazeaglory View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blazeaglory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 11:36pm
OK...I sat and waited for 5 MINUTES and it finally restarted. 

So, its not NOT shutting down or restarting, its just taking 5 minutes...

Any suggestions or should I go start a new thread?

EDIT: Strange thing. Regardless of shutdown/restart, it will wait 3 to 5 minutes then restart.

EDIT EDIT: Im currently re-flashing BIOS with the latest. I will update if it works

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Didnt work

Edited by blazeaglory - 25 Sep 2017 at 1:59am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic