ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asrock Z390 motherboard flashed with Gigabyte BIOS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Z390 motherboard flashed with Gigabyte BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vikmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Z390 motherboard flashed with Gigabyte BIOS
    Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 12:25am
Hi, I think I got into this unique problem.
By mistake, an year back I used Gigabyte appcenter application to update the BIOS of my ASROCK Z390 Phantom gaming motherboard. Now when I realize my mistake i am unable to flash the BIOS back with ASROCK latest BIOS update. BIOS Update file with .40 extension is not recognized.

And when i am checking in the BIOS setup (F2) the BIOS update tool is also showing as Q-flash and not insta flash.

I researched on the internet for a solution but not able to find any clue.
Please help.

Thanks.
Thanks
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2022 at 3:54pm
Dear Vikmak,

ASrock BIOS always uses a check, to see if the BIOS you want to flash, belongs to the board, this is an extra safety.
If Gigabyte updates is not able to check which board is used, is a serious mistake on their side.
The BIOS chip is soldered onto the baord, and next to the BIOS there is a special header (connector), that you can use to connect a BIOS programmer, like a Skypro II
This is the best way to do it, without corrupting the BIOS
Kind Regards
vikmak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vikmak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2022 at 1:09am
Thanks for a reply. You are right, ideally Asrock motherboard should not have allowed a Gigabyte BIOS firmware but it happened. May be because both have Z390 range of motherboards.
And surprisingly no functional issues its just that I am unable to go back to Asrock BIOS updates. Now when I know it, i don't want to use Gigabyte BIOS firmware update utility again.
Since computer is working fine, I am not comfortable using special tools like Skypro. I am just hoping for a simpler solution.
Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic