ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS 3.0 issues with X99X Killer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Invisius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Invisius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS 3.0 issues with X99X Killer
    Posted: 03 May 2016 at 9:26am
For those wondering, the new 3.02 beta update didn't address ANY of my issues.

Does anyone from ASRock even read these boards, or do we need to bang down some other doors?
Thodi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

Mark my words, we'll be seeing updates for the Intel INF/Chipset file installation programs, and most significantly, the Intel Management Engine (IME) software, that will be necessary when using the Broadwell-E compatible UEFI versions.

Without the new IME software, the new IME firmware that is part of the UEFI file update for Broadwell-E, cannot communicate correctly with the current version of the IME software. Doesn't matter which processor you use, after the update to the UEFI, you must use the new version of the IME software.

It has been like this with the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge processor compatibility updates for Z68 and X79. Why should X99 be any different? If X99 does not need new IME software for Broadwell-E, that will be a first for Intel.

Is any new IME software available? No. So why release UEFI/BIOS updates before the IME software appears?

Mainly for two reason: to say for marketing purposes, "We Released IT First!!", or "We Are Ready For Broadwell-E", which each and every mother board manufacture does!

But also because of the whiners... "... where's the Broadwell-E BIOS update for my board? I can't buy a Broadwell-E processor yet, but I'm soooo scared that MY BOARD won't get a BIOS update! My friend's board already has an update for Broadwell-E, but mine doesn't, and that must mean my board is Censored"

I have an ASRock X99 board, but no Broadwell-E processor. Have I updated to the new UEFI version? LOL

you are damn right friend. 
Still, I am very displeased with some small things that never worked with that board. 
And that is the reason I want them UEFI Updates coming, to hopefully have a perfectly working system in the near future.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 1:56pm
Mark my words, we'll be seeing updates for the Intel INF/Chipset file installation programs, and most significantly, the Intel Management Engine (IME) software, that will be necessary when using the Broadwell-E compatible UEFI versions.

Without the new IME software, the new IME firmware that is part of the UEFI file update for Broadwell-E, cannot communicate correctly with the current version of the IME software. Doesn't matter which processor you use, after the update to the UEFI, you must use the new version of the IME software.

It has been like this with the Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge processor compatibility updates for Z68 and X79. Why should X99 be any different? If X99 does not need new IME software for Broadwell-E, that will be a first for Intel.

Is any new IME software available? No. So why release UEFI/BIOS updates before the IME software appears?

Mainly for two reason: to say for marketing purposes, "We Released IT First!!", or "We Are Ready For Broadwell-E", which each and every mother board manufacture does!

But also because of the whiners... "... where's the Broadwell-E BIOS update for my board? I can't buy a Broadwell-E processor yet, but I'm soooo scared that MY BOARD won't get a BIOS update! My friend's board already has an update for Broadwell-E, but mine doesn't, and that must mean my board is Censored"

I have an ASRock X99 board, but no Broadwell-E processor. Have I updated to the new UEFI version? LOL
Thodi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thodi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:26pm
Confirmed!
Tried it thrice today and failed miserably. 

OS is Windows 10 Pro x64

First time was with automatic Internet Update from UEFI.
Second time with Windows installer.
Third with USB Flash.

Issues: 
OS Errors and BSOD when booting, 
(all these configs worked in 1.20 Version)
No automatic overclock worked.
Fan control freaked out, no idea why, felt like it was running on 200%.
No Full HD UEFI. (this didn't work in 1.0 either)

Current solution:
Switched from A to B BIOS
Recovered through restoring B->A (Already had backed up 1.20 BIOS before updating) 
Everything worked like a charm again!

For those who never backed up and have BIOS 1.00 on B-BIOS: 
Restore by switching to B and using restore (B->A) function. Go back to A-BIOS and boot system and get version 1.20 from download page here:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20X99X%20Killer3.1/index.de.asp?cat=Download&os=BIOS 
and flash bios from USB.
!!!DO NOT GET 3.0!!!

Hope this gets fixed soon!

PS: (1.20 also has small issues but none of them are "gamebreaking", eg: needs longer than 1.0 to get to boot after POST, still better than 1.0 tho)

Edited by Thodi - 23 Apr 2016 at 11:29pm
Invisius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Invisius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 11:21am
I'm having issues with this too, it seems to be a very buggy release. No matter what the other settings are, the all core multi on my 5820k won't go over 40. Anything higher just freezes the UEFI, and I have to reset.

Another thing I noticed, it won't go into UEFI at all once storage mode is set to RAID with CSM on; even with the start utility. Holding DEL after the Intel splash screen again causes the system to freeze...it works fine with CSM off, but I had to clear my CMOS and start all over just to get back in. Ouch

Feel like going back but I figured I'd give ASRock and others chance to respond.
thenderaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thenderaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 9:18am
FYI. In prep for the Broadwell-E processors I flashed my X99X Killer to bios 3.00. This caused total lock ups of the system several times each day, had to shutdown and restart via the 4 second hold of the power button (reset was disabled during the lock up too). I have been using BIOS 2.10 for quite a while and it is flawless but I believe does not support the Broadwell-E processor. Anyway I have flashed back to 2.10 and all is well again. Will worry about a different BIOS when I have the newer processor.

Could be the BIOS will only function properly with the Broadwell-E or it has issues?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic