ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIOS Freezes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAVEDROS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIOS Freezes
    Posted: 07 Jan 2023 at 7:47am
My PC had been running fine for a couple months since upgrading to Ryzen 7 5700X. Just recently noticed it will freeze when I go into the BIOS. I'm on version P1.20 and was going to upgrade to P1.40. I downloaded it to a thumbdrive, but as soon as I click on anything in BIOS screen, it freezes. Mouse moves, but nothing will click, no response from keyboard. Tried removing battery and clearing CMOS, but that didn't change anything. PC will boot to Windows 11, but can't do anything in BIOS screen.
ASRock PG Riptide B550M MoBo with P1.20 BIOS
Ryzen 7 5700X CPU
32GB RAM
MSI RTX 2060 Super GPU

Any ideas?
CAVEDROS
ASRock PG Riptide B550M
Ryzen 7 5700X
32GB RAM
RTX 2060 Super
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2023 at 4:45am
That is so weird. I wonder if the BIOS display portion of the firmware is corrupted or something. If the ROM chip is actually bad, it wouldn't be possible to fix it at all. But if it's just temporary issue (bad flash), maybe you can use DOS flash program to update the BIOS.

But messing with it seems pretty risky....

So I'd try something safer first, like removing everything but required components (just 1 or 2 DIMMs), basic GPU if you have one, no drives since you don't need one to flash it.

If it doesn't help, I wonder if I'd just live with it....
CAVEDROS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CAVEDROS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2023 at 1:37am
UPDATE - I tried unplugging all of the USB devices that I didn't need for startup to see if something was interfering with the mouse and/or KB and it worked. BIOS responded normally and I was able to update to P1.40. Then I plugged things back in one at a time to find the culprit. It was a new 8BitDo Game Controller that I got for Christmas. On the IO panel, there are two USB ports noted as the "Lightning Gaming Ports". I have my Logitech Mouse receiver in one port and had the controller in the other. If the controller is plugged into any other USB port, the BIOS works fine. If it is in this particular port, it locks up the mouse and KB in the BIOS. Weird. I hadn't noticed it causing any problems with the mouse in Windows, just in the BIOS. I also didn't have this problem with the older Logitech controller that I used to have plugged into the same port. I'm glad it was any easy fix.
CAVEDROS
ASRock PG Riptide B550M
Ryzen 7 5700X
32GB RAM
RTX 2060 Super
ahalbrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahalbrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2024 at 1:25am
Thank you so much OP. I was having the same issue and hadn't gotten to USB things as a culprit when I read this and I too have a wired 8bitdo controller that was causing the freezes. Very strange but that was super helpful, saving me the time to rerun your experiment, lol.
sshakeel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshakeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 7:09pm
I have the following system:

- SYSTEM: 4X4 BOX-7840U
- RAM: Kingston FURY Impact Laptop-Arbeitsspeicher Kit DDR5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) Non-ECC 5600 MHz 262pin SO-DIMM CL40 KF556S40IBK2
- SSD: Western Digital Blue??SA510 1 TB Interne SATA SSD 6.35 cm (2.5 Zoll) SATA 6 Gb/s Retail WDS100T3B0A

I installed the RAMs and SSD as specified in the user manual [https://download.asrock.com/IPC/Manual/4X4%20BOX-7840U.pdf]. The monitor is connected via DisplayPort to HDMI cable. When I turn on the system and try to access the BIOS settings (for setting up the boot sequence for OS installation) using F2, Esc, F10, F12, Del buttons, the system doesn't respond at all. Additionally, the keyboard and mouse LEDs are on continuously. The blue LED under the power button and the fan keep running.

The system does respond to the Ctrl+Alt+Del command, but throughout the process, nothing shows up on the monitor. Changing HDMI ports didn't help, and neither did changing the HDMI cable. Exchanging RAMs also didn't help.

This is not the normal behavior, and I would expect that if the system is assembled correctly, it should at least give me an entry point for starting to set up the system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic