ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

B450 Pro4 crashes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mufasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: B450 Pro4 crashes
    Posted: 08 Feb 2023 at 11:45pm
Here's my system setup:

Motherboard: B450 Pro4
CPU: 5800X
RAM: 4x 8GB GSkill 3200MHz
GPU: RX 5600XT

In May of 2022 I was having trouble with games that used Easy Anti Cheat (games like Fortnite). After a short while, my system would completely turn off. I would have to flip the switch on my power supply for ~15 seconds, before I could flip it back on and turn the PC back on. I was given a link to install a Beta version of BIOS 5.22, which ended up resolving that issue.

Now, I'm having a similar issue playing the game Valheim. I installed the latest BIOS I could find, 5.60. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Radeon drivers. Still having the same issue of a hard power off.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I created a help ticket several days ago, but haven't heard anything back.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2023 at 2:08pm
If you have not already, try pulling the RAM from A1 and B1 and test with RAM only
in slots A2 and B2. If that clears the issue we will know what the cause is and
go from there.

RAM has been an issue with Ryzen from day 1. It's a lot better now than it was but
populating all 4 slots on AM4 can still be a headache.
Mufasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mufasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2023 at 3:35am
I took the 2nd set of RAM out of slots A1 and B1. The game ran for seemingly much longer, but eventually hard crashed again.

I then disabled XMP and used the default (JDEC) memory timings. Ran for a while, but eventually crashed again.

I've now swapped the RAM chips to see if the ones originally in A2 and B2 have gone bad. We'll see how that goes...

When it crashes, if I don't flip the switch on the power supply off for ~10 seconds, it will NOT boot back up.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 9:10am
Are you saying the whole PC just turns off while gaming?
If so, it's much more likely a power supply issue than anything else.

If it's crashing (e.g. screen freezes and you can't do anything except maybe move mouse around), that's more likely software issue. Get rid of useless stuff, like RGE, GPU Tweak, etc. Since you have Radeon, Adrenalin can do all over/under-clocking and even fan curves for the GPU.

If it's spontaneously rebooting, that's worst because it can be caused by either (hardware or software).

Note power supply issues can be as simple as bad power supply or not enough wattage, but can get much more complicated, like shorts somewhere. If it just turns off suddenly, I'd be inclined to replace the power supply first.
Mufasa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mufasa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2023 at 11:52am
Yeah, the whole PC just completely powers off. Not crash to desktop, no blue screen, just immediately off.

I have as much software disabled as possible by default. I don't do any sort of tweaking or overclocking (other than enabling XMP).

It's an older power supply, but it's rated for 700W, which should be well above what is needed.

If it is the power supply, that'd be a bit surprising to me, since it's very scenario-specific (last time, any game using Easy Anti Cheat, this time just the game Valheim). And the fact that a BIOS update fixed the issue last time.

I don't really have any other good leads, though. So I guess a trip to Microcenter for a new PSU is in order.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic