ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock X79 Extreme6 Endless Install Loop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marccunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock X79 Extreme6 Endless Install Loop
    Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 4:39am
Hello:

I hope ou all can help!

Recently, my Asrock X79 Extreme9 just stopped working for no apparent reason.

I spent about a week trying to get it going, but no luck.

So I thought of buying a used one on Ebay.

Unfortunately, the only ones available were from China and outrageously expensive, and I have had very bad experiences trying to buy things from China.

So instead, I purchased a used Asrock X79 Extreme6.

Now I am finding it impossible to do a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro x64.

In 25 years of building computers, I have never encountered anything so frustrating.

I after turning the macnine on, the red Rr. Debug letters and numbers go through theisr posting thing.

At "A2" the Dr. Debug light goes out, presumably handing off to the USB stick with the clean copy of Windows I downloaded through the Media Creation Tool.

The monitor is black for a few seconds, with the little blinking cursor in the upper left corner.

Then the Windows logo appears, followed by the circle of little white balls.

Then within a minute, the Extreme6 reboots all over again.

I can never get to the first Windows installation scren to install Windows.

I have tried everything...buying a new compatible CPU from Ebay, using a new EVGA GPU, moving the GPU from slot to slot, buying new compaible Crucial RAM sticks (8x8Gb), moving around the RAM sticks to different slots, trying to boot with just one RAM stick, changing the boot manager from just the USB stick to the UEFI option, etc.

Nothing works.

The Extreme6 cuts out at about the same point in the installation process every time, and restarts itself.

I have seen some old internet posts from other Extreme6 sufferers, but it seems they are able to almost get through the entire Windows 10 installation, before their Extreme6 gets stuck in the endless restarting loop.

So if anyone has so insight, I would most definitely appreciate it!

Thanks in advance for your consideration!
threadzipper1957 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote threadzipper1957 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 10:17pm
If we skip, that maybe the replacement board is damaged, this is what I would do.
Check if CPU temperature is okay, so it is not a cooler problem.
Don't connect any SATA or USB cardreader, the system should run into UEFI, by itself.
Also use only 1 memory module
maybe reflash the BIOS
https://download.asrock.com/BIOS/2011/X79%20Extreme6(3.10)ROM.zip
Or buy a new BIOS chip with 3.10 on it.
Create a bootable USB stick with Rufus and Ubuntu Linux on it, start and go with f11 in the bootmenu, and run Ubuntu from the USB stick.
If that works, it could be OS related.
Try installing Windows 7, to see if that works.
When that works, I would say the board itself, is okay.
You could try an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, to see if that also works.
If yes, a clean installation should work, but in GPT mode.
Kind Regards
marccunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marccunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 11:31pm
Thanks, threadzipper1957!

I had already downloaded BIOS L2.45 BETA and 3.10, and I retried flashing the BIOS with each, and then tried the clean install of Windows 10 Pro x64.

The result was the same with both, once the blue window Windows logo appeared on the screen, and the circle of white dots started going around, the Extreme6 went into restart within a minute.

I have been monitiring the CPU temperature through all of these attempts, and the temp always remains between 60C-65C

I have tried the one-RAM stick reboot.

It goes through the POST, once the Dr. Debug gets to "A2", the Dr. Debug light goes out, the screen goes black, with the blinking cursor in the upper left corner, once the blue window Windows logo appears on the screen, and the circle of white dots starts going around, the Extreme6 went into restart within a minute.

'Same old, 'same old.

So just to check all the sticks, I downloaded Memtest and started the testing with all sticks installed.

So far, I am up to pass 3 of 4 and no errors have ben detected yet.

I am not clear about this instruction you gave: "Don't connect any SATA or USB cardreader, the system should run into UEFI, by itself."

Every time I have tried the Windows 10 clean install, I have used a new USB drive, with the latest copy of W10 downloaded using the Windows Media Creation Tool to try to install Windows 10.

Also I am trying to install my proposed 85Gb W10 system partition will be on a new Samsung 860 DVO 250Gb SSD.

I do not have any SATA devices connected during the install other than the Samsung SSD.

So am I fulfilling your instruction above?

I have also tried switching between IDE and AHCI in the BIOS for alternate install attempts, but the results were always the same as described above.

My second question is about this instruction you gave me "Or buy a new BIOS chip with 3.10 on it."

I just did an Ebay searh for "Asrock X79 Extreme6 3.10 BIOS chip".

I got this hit: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303791821735?hash=item46bb6753a7:g:vV4AAOSwwO9fxsNw&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8K4TrAf%2Fqk2WoEgQMUbvrraTevDsfnHIY%2FC4%2BfqSDzLMaSVF1qVNUuCMJZv4DcY2McPgOBUnlGsJW5lLxyT2cjzfrSdMhBWZ8SFNs%2FDhfOSJaN8tuXLKm%2FEtf29chWMCugYJfGapWHeRVTvPOxEuWf0yf%2BMkxvK3HzOz%2BO%2F%2BbDe8pwlxK7%2F6BOTdeWwUboJLpgUi0GMybVfUDsfUredLFMHithQUp79Nm06Xf4Q8MKMqmQ7Hk%2FO9CBV6ico0HZ0OvjHugFD8HKLVq6aV9a04sbFXo7wFFxWwgjN6z1s2OwWRmlO%2FfzBo8TVyoMKLgrew5A%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMzpKfitxh

The dscription says "Programmed / 200% Verified / Ready To Go" but it does not specify with what the chip is programmed.

I have just sent a message to the item poster to see if s/he knows if the chip was programmed with BIOS 3.10

Third, you say to use RUFUS to do a bootable USB stick with UBUNTU.

I have never used RUFUS or UBUNTU, so did you mean to add RUFUS and UBUNTU on the USB stick on which I already have the Windows 10 Pro x64 I downloaded using the Windows Media Creation Tool, or should I put RUFUS and UBUNTU on a completely clean USB stick.

Also, I just did a Google search for "ubuntu download for windows 10 64 bit" and I got this hit: https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

This is for Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS

Is that the correct UBUNTU version to use, or does the RUFUS already have its own UBUNTU version that it installs automatically?

Also, since I am unfamiliar with UBUNTU, must I install the UBUNTU first, using RUFUS, and then attempt to do a Windows 10 x64?

Finally, your instruction to try installing Windows 7 is very interesting.

I actually have preserved my Windows 7 Ultimate disk, so I can do that, but I would have to first install a disk drive.

However, above you indicated that no SATA devices should be attached during any attempted install.

So was your instruction meant only for attempted installs of Windows 10, and would it be acceptable to try installing Windows 7 using my original W7 Ultimate disk, or should I try transferring the W7 disk info to a USB stick (as an ISO?)?\

'Sorry about all my questions, threadzipper1957.

I just want to make sure I get your instructions right the first time!
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 12:57am
Originally posted by marccunn marccunn wrote:

I am not clear about this instruction you gave: "Don't connect any SATA or USB cardreader, the system should run into UEFI, by itself."

If you do not have any bootable devices connected to the system (no hard disks, flash drives etc)
then the system will automatically enter the UEFI (BIOS) on boot.
marccunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marccunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2023 at 1:59am
OK Xaltar, thanks!

I did not know that.

Once the Memtest stops running, I will try it.

So once I am in the BIOS without my USB bootable stick attached (that has the copy of W10 x64 on it), should I then insert that USB stick and restart the machine to do the W10 clean install, or insert the RUFUS +UBUNTU USB disk recommended above by threadzipper1957?

Thanks again, Xaltar!

marccunn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marccunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2023 at 5:46am
Hello all, here is an update of my progress thus far....

Unfortunately, I am sorry to say there is no progress.

I am still stuck with an endlessly repetitive installation loop, as follows....

The X79 Extreme6 installation begins the POST process after I push the start button on the front of the Lian-Li PC-60USB case.

Dr. Debug cycles through the sequence of useless codes.

At "A2" the Dr. Debug LEDs go out, presumably handing off the installation sequence to Windows 10 Pro x64.

The monitor goes blank for a few seconds.

Then the trapezoidal blue 4-pane Windows logo window appears.

After a few seconds, the circle of little white balls appears and the little white balls begin to spin around.

Then sometime within the next minute, the Extreme6 shuts itself down, and then within 10-20 seconds, it wakes itself up and begins the installation process all over again.

That is still exactly what happens each time, without variation....

I should say here that I have always been able to use the F2 and/or Del keys to get into the BIOS to change settings during POST.

Also I have always been able to use the F6 key to get into the BIOS Instant Flash utility during POST.

So far, I have attempted approximately 40 clean installs, and the results are always exactly the same as described above.

Here are the steps I have taken so far.

I bought 8 new 8Gb sticks of compatible Crucial RAM.

I ran MEMTEST, to test those RAM sticks on the Extreme6, and MEMTEST did not find any errors after running continuously for about 48 hours.

I have tried installing W10 Pro x64 from a USB stick, with one stick of RAM in the A1 slot. Exact same result as above.

I have tried installing W10 Pro x64 from a USB stick, with 2 sticks of RAM (in the proper slots recommended in the Extreme6 manual). Exact same result as above.

I have tried installing W10 Pro x64 from a USB stick, with 4 sticks of RAM (in the proper slots recommended in the Extreme6 manual). Exact same result as above.

I have tried installing W10 Pro x64 from a USB stick, with 8 sticks of RAM (in the proper slots recommended in the Extreme6 manual). Exact same result as above.

I bought a new USB stick, thinking the USB stick I had been using might be damaged, and repeated all installations with all the memory stick configurations noted above. Exact same results as above.

I then tried installations as noted above consecutively with the USB stick moved each time to each of the USB2 and USB3 connectors on the rear panel. Exact same results as above.

I then created a USB installation disk using RUFUS, and used it to try the all the various installations in the various configurations as noted above. Exact same results as above.

I then installed a DVD drive, and tried an installation using one of my old W10 Pro x64 disks. Exact same results as above.

I also tried an installation using one of my old Windows 8.1 Pro x64 disks. Exact same results as above.

I also tried an installation using my old Windows 7 Ultimate x64 disk. Even though there were only 4 little balls - colored red, blue, yellow and green, rather than little white balls - spinning around, the results were exactly the same as above.

I have also tried reflashing the BIOS with both vL2.45 and v3.10, and then repeating all the configurations noted above for each BIOS version. Exact same results as above.

I have tried every BIOS setting boot option I could think of. Exact same results as above.

I have tried 4 different clean Samsung SSDs. Exact same results as above.

So always the results were exactly the same...once the little white (or colored) balls start to spin, the Extreme6 shuts down within a minute and then restarts on its own.

If I have missed anything in the instructions from Xaltar and threadzipper1957, please let me know.

I have also contacted the Ebay seller, whose posting indicated that the X79 Extreme6 had been tested and worked perfectly, to let them know about this endless installation loop issue, and to ask them if they might have any insight into this issue. No response yet.

If you have any further options for me try, please let me know.

Thank you all for all your advice thus far!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic