ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Extreme4 (+) - Fan speed operating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techpuncher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Extreme4 (+) - Fan speed operating
    Posted: 01 May 2016 at 8:58am
Motherboard Z170 Extreme4 (+) has 5 fan's 4-pin connectors. In case of using 3-pin fans (without PWC) is it possible to operate and change fan speed according to the changing of temperature  CPU etc. ?
Another words. can motherboard support PWR and (by choice and switch) output voltage control of fan connectors?  - as I know, Z170 Extreme 6(+) is able.
And is it possible for all 5 fan connectors ?

Thank you. 
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by techpuncher techpuncher wrote:

Motherboard Z170 Extreme4 (+) has 5 fan's 4-pin connectors. In case of using 3-pin fans (without PWC) is it possible to operate and change fan speed according to the changing of temperature  CPU etc. ?
Another words. can motherboard support PWR and (by choice and switch) output voltage control of fan connectors?  - as I know, Z170 Extreme 6(+) is able.
And is it possible for all 5 fan connectors ?

Thank you. 

I assume you are referring to four pin, PWM fan speed control, right?

You certainly can control the fan speed of three pin fans with the four pin fan connectors on the Z170 Extreme4+ mother board. ASRock has added a new feature to their Intel 100 series boards, called Smart Fan Speed Control. The extent of this feature varies depending on the model of mother board, but this statement is taken from the specification of the Z170 Extreme4+ board:

All CPU/Chassis Fan Connectors can auto detect if 3-pin or 4-pin fan is in use.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4+/?cat=Specifications

You don't need to select or switch anything in the UEFI/BIOS to use three pin fans on these four pin connectors. As the specifications say, the type of fan being used is automatically detected, and any switching is done automatically.

The usual choices of temperature monitoring for the fans are either the CPU or mother board temperature.
techpuncher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote techpuncher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 7:07pm
About 4-pin FAN I no doubt - PWM (Pulse Width Modulation- I called it incorrect PMC,PMR above)  is modern and advance method of fan speed control and operation, supported by modern motherboard (as a rule)
But I already have several 3-pin fans for chassis and I am making a choice of motherboard with possibility of it's operation (not only speed control, which is similar for 4-pin fan, and it's no a problem)  - for such operation of 3-pin fans motherboard must be able to change output voltage of fan connector (for example from +7 up to +12V on  pin-wire numer 2  responsible for providing +12V).
As I understood from your replay - Z170 Extreme4(+) is able to change voltage level of fan connectors, previously automatically detecting the type of fan (3-pin - it means without PWM) ? - I hope very much.Smile

And one more question. How much current level (A-ampere) is allowed through the one fan connector ? - if it can be up to 0,7-0.8 A , it would be very nice. Smile

Thank you.

Edited by techpuncher - 01 May 2016 at 8:05pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 10:07pm
Yes, you can use three pin fans on any of the four pin fan connectors, and control their speed fine.

I have a Z170 Extreme7+ board, that has the same specifications for the fan connectors as the Z170 Extreme4+ board. I use three pin fans on all of the Chassis fan connectors, except for the Chassis1 connector, where I use a four pin PWM fan. But you could use a three pin fan on any of the Chassis fan connectors.

If we look at the specifications of the Z170 Extreme4+, we will find this:

The CPU Fan Connector supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12W) fan power.

We can't find a specification for the Chassis Fan connectors, but they must be at least 0.5A (6W). I use two fans with a one input - two output fan "splitter" cable on a Chassis fan connector on several of my ASRock boards, and they work fine. The two fans have a total, maximum current use of ~0.7A. I've used the two fans like this for a long time, and never have any problems.

Fedex92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fedex92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by techpuncher techpuncher wrote:

About 4-pin FAN I no doubt - PWM (Pulse Width Modulation- I called it?incorrect PMC,PMR above)? is modern and advance<span -group-index="0" -part-of-speech="п?и?" -title="п?одвин???й" -value="advance" -complaint-="translation" ="dictionary-meaning"="">?</span>method of fan speed control and operation, supported by modern motherboard (as a rule)
But I already have several?3-pin fans for chassis and I am making a choice of motherboard with possibility of it's operation (not only speed control, which is similar for 4-pin fan,?and it's no a problem)? - for such operation of 3-pin fans?motherboard must be able to change output voltage of fan connector (for example from +7 up to +12V on??pin-wire numer 2? responsible for providing +12V).
As I understood from your replay - Z170 Extreme4(+) is able to change voltage level of fan connectors, previously automatically detecting the type of fan (3-pin - it means without PWM) ? - I hope very much.Smile
?
And one more question. How much current level (A-ampere) is allowed through the one fan connector ? - if it?can be up?to 0,7-0.8 A , it would be very nice. Smile

Thank you.

Hi, i'm going to buy a Asrock z170 Extreme 4 and I would to know if you were able to control the speed of the fans even if they were only 3 pin-fans?
If you, via software or directly from bios? Thank you
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2016 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Fedex92 Fedex92 wrote:

Hi, i'm going to buy a Asrock z170 Extreme 4 and I would to know if you were able to control the speed of the fans even if they were only 3 pin-fans?
If you, via software or directly from bios? Thank you

As said above, you can control the speed of three pin fans just fine on this board. I have several three pin fans on the four pin Chassis fan headers on my ASRock Z170 board, and they are controlled fine, with the UEFI and Windows software control. The same is true for the CPU Fan headers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic