FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170M Extreme4 pcie slot question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170M Extreme4 pcie slot question
    Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:52am
Originally posted by pistachio pistachio wrote:

I have a Z170M Extreme4 micro atx motherboard and want to use a pcie x1 wireless adapter.  I know that it is possible to plug in an x1 card into an x16 slot, but doing so could reduce the speed of the x16 video card slot to x8.  Well I was reading the manual and it said that the 4th pcie slot "is from chipset PCIE x4 lane".  Does that mean that if I plug in my x1 wireless adapter into the 4th slot, my video card will still run at x16? 

Yes you are correct in everything you wrote.

Using your wireless card in the the PCIE4 slot will not use any of the PCIe 3.0 lanes provided by the CPU. A video card will still be able to run at x16 when using the PCIE4 slot for another device.

I assume you cannot use the PCIE2 slot because a video card in the PCIE1 slot blocks the PCIE2 slot.

The manual is vague about the PCIE2 slot's lane assignment, whether it is from the CPU or chipset.

Using the PCIE4 slot for the wireless card is the best choice.
pistachio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pistachio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 9:23am
help anyone?
pistachio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pistachio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2016 at 3:01pm
I have a Z170M Extreme4 micro atx motherboard and want to use a pcie x1 wireless adapter.  I know that it is possible to plug in an x1 card into an x16 slot, but doing so could reduce the speed of the x16 video card slot to x8.  Well I was reading the manual and it said that the 4th pcie slot "is from chipset PCIE x4 lane".  Does that mean that if I plug in my x1 wireless adapter into the 4th slot, my video card will still run at x16? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic