ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Memory channels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Memory channels
    Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 9:03pm
Fitted 32gb corsair vengeance memory in A1 B1 memory slots with samsung ngff m2 1tb ssd amd 5600x cpu booted fine , but seem to think shd use A2B2 memory slots have changed to these ,hope its right thanks terry
t parker
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 9:07pm
A2 and B2 are the preferred slots yes. These slots tend to be the most stable when
using 2 RAM modules.
terryuk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 9:29pm
Thankyou quick reply , bios 2.40 oct 2022 ,any need to update , thanks . Terry
t parker
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2023 at 10:44pm
If everything is working as it should then no. Generally only update when you need
to, like to add CPU support before an upgrade for example. "If it ain't broke" and
all that
terryuk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 7:08am
Thankyou for yr help , i changed memory modules to A2 B2 but in bios it says A1 B1 just gonna ignore that though its working ok , thankyou all . Terry
t parker
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2023 at 6:14pm
Go by the physical locations. The goal is to terminate the electrical connections at the end, without leaving traces hanging past the physical DIMMs.

So you want the DIMMs to occupy the the slots *further away* from the CPU.

CPU_SOCKET=====A1-A2_B1_B2 (so put the DIMMs in A2 and B2 slots).

I have two AsRock AM4 boards with 4 DIMM slots, and the BIOS reports the occupied slots correctly, so if it's reporting them wrong, that's odd. But the important thing is the physical location, not reported location.

Well, I have one more AsRockRack board, but that one has all 4 DIMM slots occupied, so I won't count that one.

The rest are mini-ITX with just 2 DIMM slots. I can't screw those up (laugh).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic