ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Media&User's Review > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taichi X670E Manual Shortcomings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taichi X670E Manual Shortcomings
    Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 7:03am
Perhaps this is nearly meaningless to mention but the Taichi X670E manual is extremely detailed, with several images, and perspectives on many of the components, especially the CPU installation (pp. 15-17).

However, there is no explicit reference to powering the CPU through the two ATX 12V 8-pin power connectors.

Some individuals, like myself, might assume the CPU is powered through the ATXPWR1 connection.

It took me hours to realize what I might have overlooked, and I took the computer to a shop just to be certain before anything was plugged in.

There is a poorly worded implication/suggestion/warning on p. 49, "Warning: Please make sure that the power cable connected is for the CPU and not the graphics card." And there is an image on p. 36: 2.9 Connecting the Power Connectors. But these are the only two references to powering the CPU.

Notwithstanding this minor shortcoming (minor for some), the manual is excellent.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2023 at 3:28pm
Thanks for the comment. I will reach out to my contacts at ASRock and let them
know. An added diagram of the power connectors for the CPU will likely be a huge
help for new builders. We see "my new PC won't POST" pretty often on the forums
and quite often it's the 8pin CPU power that was overlooked. Your comment could
indicate the reason.
charles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2023 at 10:27am
Thank you, I appreciate your response. I have not built a computer since 2015, and I forgot some of the basics.

Just as a humorous side-story: I installed the Taichi into a Thermaltake Core X71, and coincidentally, there is a screw position that requires a standoff that was not pre-installed.

Naturally, I didn't realize this until after I installed every other screw. I subsequently decided to leave the space empty believing it would make no significant difference.

It was my terrible luck that this particular screw position is precisely the screw position shown in the example on page 30, "2.5 Installing the Motherboard."

And after the board failed to boot, looking for a cause, I thought to myself, "Why are they explicitly pointing out this screw position? Is it an essential ground?"

I even started questioning the drawing of the screwdriver tip, "What is that tool, is that a Phillips head screwdriver, or a pen, or is it a universal symbol of importance, like 'This particular screw must be screwed in?'"

I just have to laugh now. That image puzzled me, only because the motherboard failed to boot, and the drawing didn't look anything like a screwdriver that I ever used.

I'm not nitpicking, I'm not critiquing, I just think it's a funny side-story that also cost me a couple extra hours. :DD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic