ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock Extreme 6 Board Fan Speeds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkDADDy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock Extreme 6 Board Fan Speeds
    Posted: 07 May 2016 at 6:53pm
I had a very minor issue. It's about the fan speed of my Chassis. Where i am from normal room temperatures are high because of the weather and during summer it can go upto 35C easily inside the house. It has not affected my PC in anyway but i wanted to ask few things 

1.If i set my Chassis Fan 1 speed which is the only one rear fan Corsair SP140 LED to full at all times will that harm the fan itself ?

2.If i choose a lesser speed let's say medium or less will the motherboard be able to regulate it within windows even then. Or will it keep the speed locked at what i chose ?

right now i have 4 chassis fans 140mm rear which normally runs at 900+ speed and 3 front 120mm fans running normally at 1300+ speed. 

While gaming or heavy load i assumed that running the rear fan at full speed might help lower temperature as the front ones are running faster. So i chose to run the rear one at full speed while not changing the settings of the front one. 

I have not looked into the difference of the temperature yet.

Thanks
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2016 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by MAkDADDy MAkDADDy wrote:

I had a very minor issue. It's about the fan speed of my Chassis. Where i am from normal room temperatures are high because of the weather and during summer it can go upto 35C easily inside the house. It has not affected my PC in anyway but i wanted to ask few things 

1.If i set my Chassis Fan 1 speed which is the only one rear fan Corsair SP140 LED to full at all times will that harm the fan itself ?

A fan should be able to run at its highest speed constantly and not be damaged or wear out, at least within the specifications of its lifetime and warranty.

Whether or not that will actually happen will depend on the quality of the fan and other factors, like the environment it works in (higher temperatures, dusty conditions.)

Any fan should last longer if it is operated at a lower speed than its maximum, since that will cause less wear on its bearings.

If the lifespan of a fan is an important factor to you, then the length of its warranty should be one of the major considerations when you select it. Corsair is normally very good about honoring their product warranties.

2.If i choose a lesser speed let's say medium or less will the motherboard be able to regulate it within windows even then. Or will it keep the speed locked at what i chose ?

Fan speed control depends upon the capabilities and features for controlling fan speeds provided by a mother board, and how the user uses and configures those capabilities. The features and capabilities varies depending upon the model of mother board you are using, they are not all the same on every board. This of course only applies to fans connected to the fan connectors on the board, and with the type of fans being used (three pin, four pin PWM), and if a fan has any kind of built in speed control.

We have no idea which ASRock board you have, since "Extreme6" is used in the name of many ASRock boards. ASRock has improved the fan speed control with each new generation of boards they sell, and older boards tend to have simpler capabilities.

In general, the fan speed control setting in the UEFI/BIOS will control the fan's speed when in Windows. They would be rather useless if they did not work in Windows, right?

The utility program for your board provided by ASRock has a fan speed control feature that can override the UEFI/BIOS settings, if you choose to use it.

right now i have 4 chassis fans 140mm rear which normally runs at 900+ speed and 3 front 120mm fans running normally at 1300+ speed. 

While gaming or heavy load i assumed that running the rear fan at full speed might help lower temperature as the front ones are running faster. So i chose to run the rear one at full speed while not changing the settings of the front one. 

I have not looked into the difference of the temperature yet.

Thanks

Do you have all seven of those fans connected to your board? If you do, we would need to know how they are connected to the board, what fan models they are, and how you have the fan speed control configured in the UEFI/BIOS.

You've told us nothing about your CPU coolers fans, and what the main components you are using in that PC.

Differences in component temperatures (CPU, video card, mother board, drives) in different situations is the main thing that matters when adding fans and configuring their speed control. Without checking their temperatures, you have no idea whether or not what you have done is working or not.

Using more fans does not automatically mean the result will be cooler components. Trying and testing different configurations is the only way to know what works and what does not work.
MAkDADDy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkDADDy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 3:45am
Thanks a lot for sharing your views and your time Parsec. OK i will try to elaborate here a bit for your convenience. As i write this reply the temperature in this room is above 35C.

My PC specs are Asrock Z170 Extreme6
CPU i5 6500K 3.2 Turbo @ 3.6
Casing Corsair Carbide Air 540 
GPU Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC

These are my Running Stats without load which should give you a clear idea.

Those fans are 
1xCPU Intel Stock Cooler
1x140mm Rear Corsair SP140 
3x120mm Front Corsair SP120

I will provide more information if you asked for it. Right now how can i improve the overall temperature of this rig without going into liquid cooling territory ?

My motherboard has control speed within Bios to set all the fans individually to preset speed. Silent, Standard, Performance and Maximum. What would be the best combination ?

Edited by MAkDADDy - 08 May 2016 at 3:49am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2016 at 12:08pm
Your CPU temperatures are surprisingly good, given you are using the Intel stock CPU cooler, and have a high room temperature, 35C+.

You don't need liquid cooling unless you plan on over clocking your CPU and do a lot of CPU intensive tasks. There are many nice air only CPU coolers that can cool you CPU better than the Intel stock CPU cooler.

I have an ASRock Z170 Extreme7+ board, whose UEFI fan speed control is the same as your board.

Instead of using the preset fan speed profiles, you also have the ability to create custom fan speed profiles for each fan, and change their speed based on the CPU or mother board temperature. The custom fan speed profiles can be better is fan noise bothers you, or if a preset profile does not perform exactly as you want it to.

Cooling a PC's components is not simply a matter of following a set of instructions. Every PC is different, the PC case, the parts you use, and the fans you have or do not have in the possible mounting locations are all variables that determine what works best for cooling the PC. The only person that can tell you what works well is someone that has exactly the same PC as you do, from the PC case to every last part in the PC, mounted in the same locations.

The ONLY way to determine what works the best is to experiment. Also, what you consider "the best" is, may not be what I think it is. For example, I don't like fan noise, but that may not bother you. You may need to compromise the level of fan noise for the high room temperatures you have.

The only temperature reading in your last post that is not good is that of your video card, at least in my opinion. Your card might normally have an idle temperature of 52C, but that seems high to me. But if it is only reaching 75C at 96% load, and does not get much hotter than that with a high load for a long time, then that is good. What is the speed of the video card fans at idle, etc?

Your PC case does not have a way to mount a side fan to provide cooler air to the video card, so you will need to depend on the front fans. One problem is their is only one exhaust fan (I assume is it exhaust, pushing air out of the PC case), that being the top rear SP140. Warm air from the video card is blowing into the PC case, and is warming the air used to cool the CPU.

One thing you can try is removing all the covers for PCI cards from the PC case. That will allow air to flow more easily from the front (intake), over the video card, and out of the opening around the video card that are now blocked with the PCI slot covers.

Currently, you have more air being pushed into the case (three intake fans) than you are able to take out of the case, with the one 140mm exhaust fan. That pressure will also limit the amount of air that can be pushed into the case. Removing the PCI slot covers will help relieve that pressure, and hopefully provide better air flow to the video card, etc.

Your SSD is rather hot too, is that a normal SATA SSD or an M.2 drive?

It looks like all your fans are running at or close to their highest speed, including the CPU cooler fan. Given that, all you can do try what I suggested. You could try using the extra SP140 you are not using as an exhaust fan, mounted on the top of the case.
MAkDADDy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkDADDy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 8:47pm
I appreciate your feedback Parsec. Looks like you are the main main around these forums. 

Since my processor is safe and rest of the hardware was ok too it then came down to my GPU. For that i did 2 things as you said. Removed the PCI slot covers but that had no considerable difference in temperatures both at idle or heavy load but i kept them removed. The other thing was downloading MSI after burner and using a custom fan curve. That has helped a lot bringing lot degrees down. Thanks a lot for you help and suggestions. 

Also one more thing i must mention. I had applied thermal paste *arctic silver 5* to the card but i wasn't satisfied with the way i did that job. So this time i applied the paste in a more appropriate way and i think that has also brought few degrees down as well. 

Before doing any of these things my card was touching 90c easily gaming for 1+ hour using graphic intensive games. Now it stay around 82, 83. Which i still think is high but a lot better. 
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 9:27pm
The R9 290/x are infamously hot running GPUs. It is not uncommon for stock cooled (AMD reference cooler) 290s to run as hot as 95c under persistent load. 

Your GPU uses Sapphire's "Tri X" cooling system which is significantly better than stock cooling. 83c is perfectly acceptable for an R9 290 after an hour of consistent load Wink The general consensus is "keep it under 90 and you are doing fine". When the R9 290/x were new many users adopted water cooling because of the heat these bad boys pump into your system. While the Tri-X cooler on your card is better at keeping the GPU cool it also dumps a lot more heat into the case compared to the "blower" style stock cooler that exhausts most of the heat outside the case. As always Parsec's suggestions were bang on Thumbs Up 

The 290 series were well know for thermal throttling which resulted in some skewed review results when they first hit the market. They are fantastic cards, even now but they do put out a lot of heat. In fact many regard them as the hottest running GPUs to ever hit the market, not true but not far wrong.
MAkDADDy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAkDADDy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2016 at 5:29am
Thanks a lot to Parsec for you feedback and Xaltar for you information.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic