ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

13600 non-K overheating in a Z790M-ITX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoaThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 13600 non-K overheating in a Z790M-ITX
    Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 8:25am
**TLDR** : New 13600 non K overheating, 12600k did not overheat like this. Confused as to why a lower TDP part is thermal throttling.

-----------------------------

I am having overheating issues with my new 13600 non-K. Motherboard is an AsRock Z790M-ITX with a Big Shuriken 3 CPU Cooler. Case is a Lian-Li TU-150 (with the perforated metal side panel).

I previously had a 12600k in an AsRock H670M-ITX in the same case, with no overheating issues. Sometime late last year I tried a 13600k in the H670 board, but ran into overheating issues. I put the 12600 back in, and was running fine, so I assumed the problem was my cooler not being able to handle the newer chip with its more E-cores and somewhat higher Max boost TDP.

Anyways, a month ago there was a good deal on motherboard and RAM at the local computer store. I test and tinker with builds often, so a side-grade can't hurt. So I grabbed the Z790 I have now...along with some DDR5. I was going to pick up a 13500 but found a 13600 non K for a good price...so I went with that.

I assumed a 65 watt TDP and a lower PL2 on the 13600 non K would mean I'd be fine with my current cooler and case. Its got lower power than both the 13600k I returned last year, and my 12600k that's run fine for over a year. But I'm hitting freaking 93 degrees and throttling while playing Dead by Daylight for pete's sake. All my system fans and CPU fans being blaring as well. The 12600k would stay below 85 degrees.

I'm not a big tinkerer in settings. I tend to always jump into BIOS, load XMP profile for my ram, quickly set a fan curve for CPU and System fans and thats it. Everything is on manufacturer defaults.

But I noticed the Short Duration Power Limit is set to AUTO, but then reads 250w in Bios and also HWinfo. The "CPU Core Current Limit" was also set to Auto, but then reads 280 in the BIOS. I tried reducing the PL2 to 154w per Intel websites max TDP, and this only helped a little bit. I am still overheating, though its taking a little longer.

Could someone guide me a bit here? What's going on with these 13th gen chips and these motherboards? How did I not experience this issue with my 12th gen in the same motherboard as a 13th gen chip? And what settings should I be changing to get proper thermals?

Its confusing to me that a 13600 non K is giving me this problem when a 12600k did not.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2023 at 8:30pm
It might be worth opening a support ticket with ASRock, they will likely be able
to answer your question with a little more inside knowledge:

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp

Personally, I tend to undervolt most of my systems, more often than not they are
more than able to run at default clocks with an often vastly lower voltage than
stock. That helps tremendously with power usage as well as thermals. I typically
drop the voltage down by about 0.1 then reboot and repeat until it fails to boot.
At that point I clear CMOS and enter the last voltage that allowed me to POST.
Usually this is unstable in OS so I tend to bump up by a small amount and test
for stability, adding voltage in increments until stability is achieved.

I have my Threadripper system running at just 1.0v manually downclocked to 3.5ghz
on all cores and it works a treat with little to no noticeable performance loss.
CocoaThumper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CocoaThumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2023 at 6:31am
Ok ill reach out to them. Thanks for the response
M440 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M440 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2023 at 11:32pm
Originally posted by CocoaThumper CocoaThumper wrote:

**TLDR** : New 13600 non K overheating, 12600k did not overheat like this. Confused as to why a lower TDP part is thermal throttling.

-----------------------------

I am having overheating issues with my new 13600 non-K. Motherboard is an AsRock Z790M-ITX with a Big Shuriken 3 CPU Cooler. Case is a Lian-Li TU-150 (with the perforated metal side panel).

I previously had a 12600k in an AsRock H670M-ITX in the same case, with no overheating issues. Sometime late last year I tried a 13600k in the H670 board, but ran into overheating issues. I put the 12600 back in, and was running fine, so I assumed the problem was my cooler not being able to handle the newer chip with its more E-cores and somewhat higher Max boost TDP.

Anyways, a month ago there was a good deal on motherboard and RAM at the local computer store. I test and tinker with builds often, so a side-grade can't hurt. So I grabbed the Z790 I have now...along with some DDR5. I was going to pick up a 13500 but found a 13600 non K for a good price...so I went with that.

I assumed a 65 watt TDP and a lower PL2 on the 13600 non K would mean I'd be fine with my current cooler and case. Its got lower power than both the 13600k I returned last year, and my 12600k that's run fine for over a year. But I'm hitting freaking 93 degrees and throttling while playing Dead by Daylight for pete's sake. All my system fans and CPU fans being blaring as well. The 12600k would stay below 85 degrees.

I'm not a big tinkerer in settings. I tend to always jump into BIOS, load XMP profile for my ram, quickly set a fan curve for CPU and System fans and thats it. Everything is on manufacturer defaults.

But I noticed the Short Duration Power Limit is set to AUTO, but then reads 250w in Bios and also HWinfo. The "CPU Core Current Limit" was also set to Auto, but then reads 280 in the BIOS. I tried reducing the PL2 to 154w per Intel websites max TDP, and this only helped a little bit. I am still overheating, though its taking a little longer.

Could someone guide me a bit here? What's going on with these 13th gen chips and these motherboards? How did I not experience this issue with my 12th gen in the same motherboard as a 13th gen chip? And what settings should I be changing to get proper thermals?

Its confusing to me that a 13600 non K is giving me this problem when a 12600k did not.

this is a small cooler, those intel chips take much watt and therefore emit lots of heat. You might need to lower it to ~80 watt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic