ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

USB devices randomly disconnecting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shenmue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USB devices randomly disconnecting
    Posted: 08 May 2016 at 8:07pm
Issue 1:
USB devices randomly disconnecting, usually all at the same time (external hard disk, mouse, keyboard, wifi receiver).

Issue 2:
Wifi receiver working very poorly and unstable. It doesn't work at all when plugged on frontal USB port 1 & 2 (no power).

Issue context:
Seems to happen when the USB port get repeatedly a huge load (like opening webpages that generate fast peaks of 16mbps download)

Tried solutions:
- Re-plug (doesn't work at all)
- Swap the plugs (no longer works for issue 2, begin not to work for issue 1)
- Reboot the PC (no longer works for issue 2)
- Disable USB sleeping mode in Windows options (doesn't work at all)
- Disable USB 3.0 ports (doesn't work at all)
- Plug an extended cable to the wifi receiver (no longer works)

Config:
CPU: AMD FX8320 @ 3.5ghz | GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-X OC, 2 Go  | MOBO: AsRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 | RAM: Kit Dual Channel DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Sport, 2 x 4 Go, PC3-12800, CAS 9 | PSU: LEPA MX F1, 550W | OS: Win10 x86_64 | HARD DISK: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TO, Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TO, Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TO (usb external) | MAIN MONITOR: LG Flatron W2361V 1920x1080 | 2ND MONITOR Samsung LE15S51BP A (R) 1024x768 | Audio: Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec, 7.1 CH HD Audio | Mouse: Gigabyte M6900 V2 | Wheel: Thrustmaster T300RS | Pedals: Logitech G27 | Shifter: Thrustmaster TH8A | Keyboard: Akor Minimax CL200Hub | Wifi: D-Link DWL-G122 Wifi 802.11g 54Mbps | Internet connection: 19 mbps (company: Free SAS)

Edited by shenmue - 08 May 2016 at 11:25pm
shenmue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shenmue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:32am
BIOS updated from 1.40 to 2.40 tonight.
Some wifi drivers updated too.

I guess the problem came from here.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 11:50am
So your issue is resolved with the BIOS update?
shenmue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shenmue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 2:53pm
Several weeks since the bios update, I can say that the issue 1 has been solved. I got only one random disconnection and a weird mouse freeze (no disconnection, just a freeze, first time it happens).

About the issue 2, I found out that the problem was not completely related with the motherboard. Infact, it was related with my internet provider. There was not really disconnections.

However it's a fact that my wifi receiver still lost performance when connected too long with a usb port.
I can switch usb port to gain performance but it's less and less optimal. One usb port no longer work at all with the wifi receiver, and some usb ports hardly connect with some of my devices.

So I'm still very disappointed.

Edited by shenmue - 31 May 2016 at 3:04pm
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 8:13pm
Do you have to use the Wifi over usb adapter from your ISP? Can you connect via Ethernet cable? Every time you moved your usb/WiFi adapter to a different usb port it had to be re-detected and install drivers!

Wired Ethernet is the fastest most reliable connection,....
shenmue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shenmue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by clubfoot clubfoot wrote:

Do you have to use the Wifi over usb adapter from your ISP?
Yep. It's a D-Link DWL-G122 Wifi 802.11g 54Mbps.

Can you connect via Ethernet cable?
Nope, no choice.

Every time you moved your usb/WiFi adapter to a different usb port it had to be re-detected and install drivers!

Interesting. I will give it a try, thx.
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2016 at 11:00pm
Uninstall the D-Link WiFi card software from Programs and Features,...do not reboot just yet. Open up device manager and from the view menu select "show hidden devices" and it will show all the ghost devices that have been detected/installed. . Look in Human Interface Devices, network and the usb trees for ghosts D-Link installs, right click on them, uninstall and check the delete box,....be careful :)

Pull out the usb/WiFi device and reboot. After rebooting plug the device directly into a back usb port off the motherboard,...not a front panel usb port. Install drivers.

Good luck.
shenmue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shenmue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 12:11am
I'm in the Program and Features window and wow : the D-link software has a 27 go weight O_o.
shenmue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shenmue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2016 at 1:06am
Got this message error over the installation:

Looks like there is indeed something wrong with my WiFi device. I'll look into it.

Edit : issue solved. Now I can get my full bandwidth thanks. May it continue to do so.

Edited by shenmue - 01 Jun 2016 at 1:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic