ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

ASRock X570 motherboard, SATA and TrueNAS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunpuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ASRock X570 motherboard, SATA and TrueNAS
    Posted: 21 Aug 2023 at 9:13pm
I recently purchased a
ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 WiFi AX AM4 AMD X570 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard to build a new disk array using TrueNAS and have 8 18 TB Seagate drives for it. The problem is that if I hook up more than two drives to the board the machine fails to boot and hangs at the ASRock screen and does not allow keyboard input.

The internal drive is a Samsung 970 EVO SSD and the second SSD slot is empty. Is there a way to use the 8 SATA ports without the system choking? As a plan B I have an LSI SAS controller on the way.

Thanks!!!
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 7:48am
That's strange. Did you test each drive to make sure the drives are all fine?
What kind of power supply? Maybe it can't deal with all the drives spinning up at the same time. Some boards have the ability to delay the spin up of each drive, but I've no idea if consumer boards like the PG would have that.

I mean, I see absolutely no reason why all 8 SATA ports can't be used at the same time. They're all standard ports from X570 chipset.
sunpuke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunpuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 10:19pm
The power supply is a Seasonic Focus GM-850. I can hear the drives spinning up so I know they are getting power. The problem is why does the BIOS think the hard drives are a boot device when the SSD is set as the boot device?
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2023 at 11:55pm
Make sure SATA controller is in AHCI mode (rather than any sort of proprietary RAID mode) in the BIOS. And I'd clear out boot options for everything but the boot device.

I don't have any other ideas.

By the way, LSI SAS card is a good idea, regardless. Nothing else is better supported, and it also simplifies wiring.

I have a TrueNAS box myself, using X470D4U and LSI SAS9211-8I.
Flashing the LSI to IT firmware was... a bit of an adventure, mostly because I wanted to do it before I got the X470D4U board.

Of course, I had to buy two Mini SAS to 4xSATA breakout cables, because they don't come with anything.   Different LSI card generations use different connectors, so get the correct ones, of the correct length you need. Mine needed SFF-8087 -> 4x SATA. It's best to use the shortest cables that will fit your needs. I got 1.6' versions by Cable Matters (I've always had good luck with this brand cables).

It's so much easier to plug in 4 SATA drives using a single skinny breakout cable, compared to using 4 separate SATA cables. Power cable can be daisy chained, so it's not as big of a problem.
sunpuke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunpuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2023 at 12:57am
Thanks for the response!!! Here is what I have figured out, if I try to add a 6th drive it is not seen at all by TrueNAS. I have tried this with three hard disks and I find it a little hard to believe that of the eight drives I bought from Amazon, three are DOA (not impossible but improbable).
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2023 at 1:41am
Try different SATA cable? I've actually seen bad SATA cables.
sunpuke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunpuke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2023 at 2:43am
Changed cables, changed power cables, same result. Three DOA hard drives!!! Time to return them to Amazon!!! Thanks for your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic