ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z790 PG-ITX/TB4 USB-C Boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmichel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z790 PG-ITX/TB4 USB-C Boot
    Posted: 25 Aug 2023 at 10:39am
I've recently upgraded to a Z790 PG-ITX/TB4 and was excited to try to boot and use the thunderbolt ports on the back. Unfortunately, when attempting to boot a Windows 11 ISO on a USB-C thumbdrive nothing happens. It seems as if the drive isn't even recognized (nothing shows up in the BIOS).

I've enabled boot from Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt USB, but neither seemed to have done anything.

Am I doing something wrong? Does boot from USB only from from the USB-A ports on the back?
bembe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bembe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 11:29pm
I also have similar problems with Thunderbolt not detecting.
Did you enable boot in BIOS from that Thunderbolt drive?
brianmichel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianmichel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2023 at 12:53am
I verified that I did have all the right boot settings set in the BIOS/UEFI but my main issue was the thumbdrive wasn't formatted correctly it seems.

I had originally attempted to make the boot drive from macOS (my primary machine), and while it looked correct, it didn't work until I rebuilt the thumbdrive on a different Windows machine using the Create Media tool from Microsoft.

I'd recommend checking that the drive has been formatted correctly since that was my issue!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic