ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Steel Legend - restarting while browsing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdynomnom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X670E Steel Legend - restarting while browsing
    Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 10:06pm
Friendly people of the internet, I got a problem:

My computer randomly crashes or restarts when using Firefox/watching Youtube. The PC runs games and many benchmarking tools without crashs. Once I open Firefox/Edge/any other Browser it takes 1-20min and it autorestarts. Sometimes showing a BSOD error, the BSOD is only visible for like 0.1 second, and sometimes it just restarts/reboots with a blackscreen. The PC restarts as if its a clean restart. In the Event Viewer, I'm getting error codes like 41, 162, 1101, 1001, and 6008.

Troubleshooting I've done:
- I've tried various benchmark and performance tests, and the issue never occurs during those high-load tasks.
- I've also monitored the temperature, voltage, and power usage.
- I've experimented with different combinations of parts
- Did a CMOS reset, using turn off EXPO, using default memory setting
- Using two different memory sticks (both QVL) and trying all possible memory slots variations
- I've switched to a different 1kW power supply, and the problem still happened
- Also happens without GPU.
- I don't think it's a problem with the CPU because its performing well in benchmarks without getting too hot and its not crashing during these tasks
- I've also tried to change various settings in the BIOS, reinstalled windows and used diferent versions of the BIOS.
- Games/3DMark benchmarking can run for hours without crashs...

So, my hunch is that the motherboard might be causing some kind of "emergency" shutdown in relation to specific high memory usage. Although RAM testing tools didnt show any weakness... I'm thinking of sending the motherboard back, because I cant pinpoint any other HW failure and it might be defective.

Anyone had some similar experience/issues? Or does anyone see something I should try?

GPU: Powercolor Radeon RX7900XTX Hellhound (24 GB) (shouldnt matter because problem

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (4.20 GHz, 8-Core)

Motherboard: ASRock X670E Steel Legend

BIOS Version: currently 1.28 -- (tried multiple versions from 1.18 till 1.30(beta))

RAM: 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5N (replacement CMK32GX5M2B5200C38)

PSU: Corsair RM850x (replacement Corsair 1000)

Case: NZXT H7 Flow

Operating System & Version: WINDOWS 11

Chipset Drivers: 23.10.29.91-230814-a-395045C-AMD-Software-Adrenaline-Edition
cx5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cx5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 4:24pm
sounds like the usual not enough CLDO_VDDP and various VDDP VDDG etc etc since AM4 era, use zentiming to monitor them, their changes over bios versions and you'll notice what voltage gets highest stability.
x370taichi@3.50gen4
AX750 Optane900P SN770
3800x PosdonZro4 BarrowPWM-17w>420x140x28
XFX SWFT319 6900XT
MSI RX560 LP to get Fluid Motion BlueskyFRC 75hz
birdynomnom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdynomnom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 8:23pm
Not sure if I understand you correctly. So I'm now running Zentimings and I can see e.g 1.1484V for CLDO_VDDP. The VDDG values are shown as N/A.

Now I should look for a certain value and install diferent BIOS versions? Then let it run some Youtube video and check if it crashes? I've done this with multiple BIOS versions already, just not monitoring the voltage values. Should I change them in BIOS?
Skybuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skybuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 9:27pm
Read this thread, sounds similiar:

https://forum.asrock.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25290&title=b650e-steel-legend-wifi-weird-bios-issue

Possible solution 1:
"
I solved the problem!

In my case the problem was the incorrect setting of the FCLK frequency of the ram.

I reset the CMOS and using the ZenTimings software I saved the screen with the ram data.

I restarted my PC, entered the bios and saved (without changing anything).
When I restarted I relaunched ZenTimings and then compared the data after saving (the system was in fact unstable).

The value of FCLK went from 1800 to 2000 and this was what was causing the problem.

At this point I went back to the bios under OC Tweaker and set the Infinity Fabric Frequency to 1800.

Hope you can fix it
"

Possible solution 2:
"
Having understood the reason, I acted differently. Increased SOC voltage to 1.28, and Infiniti Fabric - to 2100
"

birdynomnom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdynomnom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 1:39am
thanks for your input

sadly both solutions didnt help

there is no difference after multiple restarts in the Zentiming values

I still tried to increase the values a bit as writen in solution 2 - but it also didnt help, crashed again into a BSOD

I switched off auto restart and was now able to see the BSOD: whea uncorrectable error

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic