ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X670E Steel Legend Bios Upgrade Failure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarterIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X670E Steel Legend Bios Upgrade Failure
    Posted: 05 Dec 2023 at 10:48pm
New to the forums, Hoping I could get some help with a New computer build. I purchased a X670E Steel Legend Motherboard and installed it in the new case and fired it up and installed windows. Very fast board with great features. After any new build I always look in the device manger to ensure all drives installed properly and there are no issues. The issue I seen was the fTPM driver failed or wasn't responding. I researched this issue and found that updating the BIOS from 1.21 to 2.02 fixed the issue. So I formatted a thumb drive to Fat32 partition. Then I downloaded the following bios:

https://download.asrock.com/BIOS/AM5/X670E%20Steel%20Legend(2.02)ROM.zip

unzipped the file, moved the .rom to the thumb drive and renamed it creative.rom as instructed in the manual that come with the motherboard. Walked over to the build, turned on the PSU switch on the back of the power supply unit, inserted the thumb drive held the BIOS Flashback button until it started flashing. It flashed slowish for a bit then it started flashing faster, then the button led was not on. I assume this means the flash was completed. I then turn the PSU switch off and pull the thumb drive out of the motherboard Flashback port. Now all the board does is light up the RGB led's and that is it.No fans, not video, no Post Status Checker lights.

I have tried to flash the original V1.21 and still get the same dead board. Do I ship this back and get a replacement or can we fix this issue?
CarterIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarterIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 10:56pm
I find it odd that 41 views so far on this question and I get zero help. Worst forum response I have ever had with any support site.
CarterIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarterIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 10:58pm
And to top it off, I also sent in two support request from ASROCK support webpage and have gotten zero response from that as well. At this point I'm returning the board for a refund and buying a different brand.
killroy2963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote killroy2963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2023 at 11:16pm
Im uncertain about your issue, I also had problems with thier bios versions 2.0 and 2.02, I found only previous versions 1.28 and 1.30 AS05 work.It seems Asrock bios software is less then desirable, returning the board probably is a good idea unless you find a bios version that works for you.

Asrock tech support hasn't been very helpful with my issue.
ASRock X670E Steel legend
AMD 7800X3D
Gigabyte 4080 RTX
GSkill FlareX 5 DDR-5 6000
Sound Blaster AE-5
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 7:10am
Originally posted by CarterIT CarterIT wrote:

And to top it off, I also sent in two support request from ASROCK support webpage and have gotten zero response from that as well. At this point I'm returning the board for a refund and buying a different brand.

Hi CarterIT, I thought I should mention that this is forum isn't run by ASRock's
Tech Support staff, it's a community forum. That means that help comes from fellow
community members for the most part. ASRock does have a presence here but it's not
very frequent. I am surprised that you didn't get a response from the tech
support form. How long has it been? Typically they respond within 2 - 5 working
days. Also, if you didn't receive a confirmation email that your ticket had been
filed then you may need to submit a new ticket. Be sure to check your spam folder
too as for some reason ASRock's email addresses seem to get sent to spam by Google
Mail.

As for the issue you described, sorry, I missed your post, you should be able to
simply perform another BIOS flashback, ideally to a different version, I would
try an older one as mentioned above. Flashback basically makes bad flashes a non
issue on boards that support it, if a flash is bad, just do it again.

I do try to help everyone I can but I am only a moderator and just one person

Good luck.

Edited by Xaltar - 08 Dec 2023 at 7:12am
CarterIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarterIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2023 at 9:17pm
The forum should put a notice that this is not for support from the ASROCK support team then. It's very misleading especially when they have the link on their website. What's the point of having this tool if the end user just runs around in circles.

I created a support request, never got a ticket for it, never got a call, never received an email. Waited a day and tried it again. Got the same result. That is the very definition of insanity. I won't waste my time with ASROCK again. We use Microsoft 365 Outlook for email, I checked my companies spam filter in the Microsoft Exchange admin account and found nothing. Checked my junk folder also, nothing.

I waited two days and returned the board to AMAZON and got a full refund. I just bought an ASUS board to replace it. They have much better support.

This is for our companies backup system. We cannot wait days for help. 24 hours is usually the longest I will waste of our companies time then I go somewhere else.

I appreciate that you take the time to help people. I also thank you for your response and the heads up.

I tried to re-flash the board with every version on the website and it still ended with the same result. Enough is enough.
kerberos_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kerberos_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by CarterIT CarterIT wrote:

I tried to re-flash the board with every version on the website and it still ended with the same result. Enough is enough.

its possible that your USB stick was not supported and you just failed to notice it.
bios flashing can take like five minutes
pretty much every mainboard supports sticks up to 32GB with 4kB sector (allocation) size
CarterIT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarterIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2023 at 8:27pm
I used the thumb drive to flash many motherboards. In fact I flashed the same board a few weeks ago on a different computer. So I know this USB is fine. In fact the Flash started every time and the led flashed slow at 1st then faster then it quit on every version of the bios. Each one took like 3-4 minutes. I just think that boards Flash port was defective. I already have the new board installed and the server is back in service.

Appreciate the response.
jhonbenz853 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhonbenz853 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 9:39pm
Sorry to hear about the trouble with your motherboard. It seems like a critical issue after the BIOS update. Since you've attempted to revert to the original BIOS without success, it might be best to contact th gaming motherboard manufacturer's customer support for further assistance. They can provide guidance on potential solutions or help facilitate a replacement if needed. Good luck with resolving the issue.
klfhshf5236
Skybuck View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skybuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2023 at 8:16pm
It might take a while before the computer responds, it may be doing some kind of memory training.

Look if you see some RED lights on the motherboard, wait till those go off.

If after say 10 or 20 or 30 minutes still no response, then perhaps issue with motherboard.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic