ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z390 Extreme 4 - NVME Gen 4 disconnects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maciejos78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z390 Extreme 4 - NVME Gen 4 disconnects
    Posted: 09 Jan 2024 at 3:06am
Hi

I have Samsung EVO 970 Pro NVME SSD which is PCIe 3.0. It works flawless. I upgraded the set with second Samsung NVME SSD, but this time it was 980 Pro Gen 4.0 and here came surprise - the 980 gets randomly disconnected.

Ihe drive is correctly recognized by UEFI, it allowed to install OS, it allows to boot OS, it allows to perform lightweight work, but whenever comes heavy IO load the 980 disappears.

I tried swapping slots, running the system with just single NVME populated. The situation repeats - 980 under pressure wents away.

My suspection is that although PCIe 4.0 is backward compatible, there might be it - I should stay aligned with motherboard . I also noticed slight current difference - 970 requires 2.75A while 980 2.90A.

What is your experience in similar area of troubles?

Regards
Maciejos
Regards
Maciek
maciejos78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maciejos78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2024 at 4:18am
Well, downgrading NVME drive from Samsung 980 Pro (PCIe 4.0) to WD Blue SN570 (PCIe 3.0) seems to solve the issue. So far the system did not hang in momenets, when S980 went out.

I bet, that this Samsung 980 is also and will work smooth in other system. Soon I'll post an upgrade here.
Regards
Maciek

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maciejos78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2024 at 4:53pm
Another observation worth to mention - SN570 is recognized only by 4.30F beta UEFI, and only when M2 is forced to NVMe mode (when set to auto drive stays unrecognized). However I also noticed that with this UEFI update my solid 970 EVO had already few disconnects.
This situation drives me to crazy.
Regards
Maciek

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maciejos78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2024 at 3:40am
Update: after disconnecting peripherals from motherboard (discrete graphic card, front panel USB with cards reader, BR-RW, HDD and second NVME) leaving just motherboard, CPU and a single NVMe I was still affected by the issue. Next I disconnected ATX and CPU power cords, cleaned contacts and connected them back. The system is working stable for some days, but I'm far away from saying that it's fixed. I suspect that the problem may be the PSU. This is 530W unit (calculated system requirement is ~480W), ~7 years in service. This will be the next replacement is the issue still exists.
Regards
Maciek
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic