ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Intermittent Hang on Boot / No Display : B550M-ITX
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Intermittent Hang on Boot / No Display : B550M-ITX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Intermittent Hang on Boot / No Display : B550M-ITX
    Posted: 12 Jan 2024 at 11:44am
So, first things first: the specs.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bJnLrH

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: ASRock B550m-ITX/ac
- BIOS ver. 3.30
- Latest AMD B550 chipset drivers installed
Memory: OLOy 16GB DDR4-3000 (2 x 8GB)
Storage: WD SN770 500GB NVME SSD (Gen 3)
GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 6600 Challenger D 8GB
PSU: Silverstone SFX 450W 80-plus Gold
Case: Silverstone ML08 (has a PCB GPU riser)

Now, here's the thing: this problem is intermittent and fairly new. I built this PC for a client about a year and a half ago now, but the sale fell through and I have been trying to offload this since. As such, it sat for extended periods of time with me only booting it up from time to time to run updates. Then, one day, in October or November of 2023, it wanted to give me issues. I was having troubles getting it to boot. I tried clearing CMOS: didn't fix it. I tried installing new chipset drivers: didn't fix it. I updated to the latest BIOS, and it seemed to resolve the issue.

Eventually, come December, I find a buyer for it and sell the system, only for the buyer to return it because it was failing to boot after they turned it off and let it sit for the night. When I get the machine back, it is that same old issue again. Sometimes it will boot or reboot just fine. Other times it will hang on the boot logo / splash screen, while just as frequently (if not more so) spin up the fans per normal with no display out via HDMI (GPU output).

The beep codes I get are either nothing, 1 short, or 5 short with a 1 second pause followed by 1 short. But, unfortunately, those codes do not always align with a successful or unsuccessful boot or reboot. I know that 5 short could mean no display detected or processor error, but it is a known good HDMI cable hooked up to a known good ASUS 22" panel and it works completely fine some of the time. I also know that I have it hooked up to the right port, because the 5600X doesn't have an iGPU, so, the dGPU gets the cable. I also can get the CPU to successfully pass stress and stability tests with OCCT and Cinebench R23...

So, what is going on here? Is the motherboard suddenly faulty? Is it some setting conflict in BIOS? Firmware issue? I'm kind of stumped...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic