ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD and Intel Graphics Card
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Burned

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burned
    Posted: 15 Jan 2024 at 9:24pm
About 4,5 years ago I bought the ASRock Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX580 8G OC and last month it failed on me. A part burned out. I've now taken off the fan housing and where the burned smell comes from the heatsink is not sitting tightly on the parts below. I can press it down at least 1 mm. Is it possible that this caused the part to eventually burn? Or is it something else?

This is the first card that died. I've got decades old cards that still work.
Well, the AMD card caused a lot of crashes, a few every week and sometimes even a day with a pc that runs around the 8 hours a day on average. With my old Nvidia GTX470 from Gigabyte I now have installed again I've had no crashes since. The AMD gave artifacts in a couple of apps and those are gone now too with the Nvidia. Although I hate the mandatory login for Geforce Experience, no AMD card for me again.
And no ASRock stuff anymore. It was just a bad card and the dual fans of the Gigabyte card make about as much noise at 3000 rpm as the ASRock ones at 2200 rpm. The loudness of the fans always really bothered me.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 12:22am
You can try opening a support ticket but if it's been that long it will likely not
come to anything. The issues you described from before the card died could have been
indicators of an issue, had you contacted ASRock then they may have replaced it for
you.

The 580 was one of ASRock's very first forays into GPUs, my RX 590 is still
working great as is my RX 570. Bad cards happen unfortunately, regardless of
manufacturer. I was never able to get my GTX 960 G1 Gaming to work properly in
my main system for example, it worked fine in my wife's PC but not mine. Gigabyte
refused to replace it despite every other GPU I own working in the same system
it had issues with.

Unfortunately with things like this you need to jump on them early, ideally within
the return period from the store you purchased from. Any issue at all, return it.
It isn't worth the headache of having something die later on down the line. By
the sound of it, there could have been an issue with the cooler not making contact
with something that was overheating. Artifacting is always a bad sign.

Sorry to hear your card died

Edited by Xaltar - 16 Jan 2024 at 12:22am
Lenon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 2:19am
Thanks for the reaction.

The artifacts were only frequent with I think 2 apps and those apps I got years after buying the card. In other apps I had rarely artifacts. So no early warning there really.

The carshes were very inconsistant. Sometimes a couple of weeks went by without any and sometimes I had 2 or 3 a day. I had the "default settings restored due to unexpected system failure" warning. I remember searching the internet and that it probably was software related (driver or Windows settings) or the overclocking, but the oc is standard on the card. Haven't seen any warning it could be a bad card. Otherwise I would've contacted ASRock. The crashes didn't seem to have a trigger either. Under heavy load it would run fine (just loud) but it could crash just running idle.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2024 at 4:47pm
Ah yes, the dreaded TDR error (timeout detection and recovery). That was a bane to
my existence for quite some time until Microsoft finally got their act together.
It typically struck at random and often when the system was idle.

I wouldn't count ASRock out, or AMD for that matter, they have come a long way
since the 500 series. One of the things I like about ASRock is how quickly they
learn and adapt. In all my years of IT I have never encountered another brand
that listens to it's customers as much. I wouldn't be a moderator here if I didn't
think they make solid products and have good support.

Quote Under heavy load it would run fine (just loud)

Tell me about it, my 590 is loud too. I have mine under volted and downclocked
to somewhat mitigate that, I am not really a gamer so quiet is better than performance.

Good luck with whatever GPU you decide to replace it with, hopefully, no gremlins
this time

Edited by Xaltar - 16 Jan 2024 at 4:47pm
Lenon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 6:32am
Well, I believe I contacted ASRock before with something. I can't remember what. I remember not being that happy with either the outcome or the help.
Looking at my bookmarks I see I made a bookmark years ago of the support request form and for a no longer existing forum page.

Because of the noise I had my card set to stock speeds and changed the fan curve in Adrenalin. (The ASRock software didn't work that well for me somehow.) It was a little better, but still bad at times. After a driver update a few months ago my profiles were gone and every time I then tried to set it back to what I had, it crashed. Going back to the driver version I had, didn't help. So I used Afterburner, which did work well. But after this all I'm not keen on buying another AMD card. So I guess I won't be buying an ASRock card either.

I had a water cooled system for quite a time years ago and it was a dream. Expensive but quiet with good temps and a 25% increase in clock speeds. Now it's financially not going well and can't really even afford a new card that's at least as good as the 580. As soon as I can afford one I'll be picking a brand that makes the most silent cards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic