ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Perplexing power on issue help request

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potscrubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Perplexing power on issue help request
    Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 12:01pm
Greets - came here looking for some expert help.

My 3 yr old DAW PC has started this intermittent fault with power on. Includes from cold boot or resume from sleep or hibernate. 33% of the time, when I power on (includes both case power button for cold boot or resume, and keyboard to resume from sleep) it fails to start.

To get it to start I either have to hold down reset button and try again (just discovered this today), or, switch the PSU rocker switch off, wait 15 sec for the caps to drain (passive USB hub LED goes out). Then I can hit the PSU rocker switch on and start as per normal.

Just started 6 months ago and pretty sure it's a pure H/W issue?

Do we think it's mb or PSU? I think I'm trending mb but not sure how to confirm, or how to solve.

System specs in sig.

Any suggestions much appreciated! Cheers.

ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4 | i7-10700K | Crucial Ballistix 16 GB | AMD Radeon RX 6600 Challenger D 8GB | Corsair HX750 Platinum 80+ PSU | Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 4:24pm
What OS are you running and do you remember if you made any changes to the system
around the time the issues began? Hardware, software, OS updates etc.

Sleep/hibernate issues almost always come down to an OS or BIOS issue, often a
combination of both, ie. an OS update breaks it but a BIOS update is required to
fix it. I had similar issues with several of my own systems, in fact, it got so
frustrating I stopped using sleep/hibernate at all. I would fix the issue only to
have the next windows update break it all over again. This was in the early days
of Ryzen however so it was really bad.

These days it's usually just a stale/unmaintained OS. A simple way to rule out
software/OS is to boot the system from a USB linux live distro and test the
sleep/hibernate functionality. If it works, odds are, you need to update your
OS, or reinstall if it's been in use a long time. If not you can post back here.
potscrubber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potscrubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 5:37pm
Hi thanks for your thoughts and input. Good point, it's Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (sig updated). While it's a somewhat minimal install (due to being a DAW) it's up to date with Windows, and nothing freaky tweak wise.

Bios is last (non beta) 1.50. No significant changes to configuration.

However. Due to the symptoms exhibiting even from a cold boot, and it's intermittent nature, I really don't see how it could be a software issue.

Cheers
ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4 | i7-10700K | Crucial Ballistix 16 GB | AMD Radeon RX 6600 Challenger D 8GB | Corsair HX750 Platinum 80+ PSU | Windows 10 Pro 22H2
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2024 at 8:22pm
Just a shot in the dark but you could try replacing the CMOS battery. A weak/dying
CMOS battery can cause all kinds of gremlins. If that doesn't help you can open
a support ticket with ASRock and inquire with them, share a link to this thread too.

https://tw.asrock.com/events/tsd.asp

Good luck and let us know how it goes
potscrubber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote potscrubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2024 at 7:22pm
Thanks for suggestion. I have replaced CMOS battery. Old was reading a whisker over 3v, though plenty of my key FOB's stop working at that voltage. Have replaced with new 3.3v.

Will report back, and contact support if I'm still stumped.

Cheers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic