ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z170 Gaming ITX - Memory Issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kudoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z170 Gaming ITX - Memory Issues
    Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 9:26am
Hey guys, pulling my hair out here...

Can't get system to boot with the second DIMM slot with the GSKILL TridentZ 3770mhz DDR4 that I've got. Have checked each stick in Slot 1 and boots fine, single stick in Slot 2 and it won't boot and neither will sticks in both Slot 1 & 2.

So far I've tried:
1) Downgrading to 1.60 bios
2) Upgrading back to 1.80 bios
3) Reseating CPU (and checking for bent pins)

Any thoughts?

Scott

Edited by kudoz - 05 Jun 2016 at 9:27am
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 9:36am
IS it this kit F4-3733C17D-8GTZ?
kudoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kudoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 9:49am
Mine's actually the 4x4GB kit (identical specs and silicon from what I gather), using 2 in this board and 2 in another.

F4-3733C17Q-16GTZ
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 9:55am
When you say boot, do you actually mean post,...to BIOS/UEFI? 

If you can't get to UEFI follow the clear CMOS procedure. Basically shut power off, pull cord, remove battery, move CLR CMOS jumper to CLR position, wait a bit, return jumper to default, install battery, plugin and power up.
kudoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kudoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 10:20am
Yeah, doesn't post / get to UEFI...

Tried using the cmos reset switch (there's no pin header or battery on this one)
kudoz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kudoz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 12:11pm
Well, looks like somehow a bit of a CPU socket pin has broken off... blew it out with some compressed air and used a pin to angle up the remaining part of the pin... voila! Both DIMMS now detected and running fine! :)
clubfoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 8:58am
Phew,....good save :) Enjoy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic