ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extr.7+ several Problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failtainment_TV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extr.7+ several Problems
    Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 4:28am
Hi all,

tried to configure z170 extr.7+ with i6700K, F4-3400C16D-16GT (2x8), Samsung 950 M.2 Pro & my old SuperJetstream 980

Issues: needed days to get the 950 running despite several guids. Problem: if i connect other SSDs, HDDs or the Frontpanel (together or separately or in different combinations), whole system get's confused. Installed win7 on 950, put another ssd in, couldn't find SSD anymore. same with another HDD or at other ports). GPU can be seen in UEFI, but not in WIN (have to install 7 first, then upgrade to 10), Corsair H115i, connected to internal USB, could not be found. Tried another slot with the GPU: same issue. If i move around the mouse while UEFI starting, i can see the mousetrail (graficfailure), and so on and so on. 
Sounds familiar in any way? Or . . . defect Motherboard? Or what? pleeeeease no defect MoBo :( . . . 

Not my first Computer, built on my own. even used ESD protection. Don't know what to do. Had problems with original UEFI . . . don't know . . . 1.2 or so. Updated to 3.0 (what btw. won't work via Internet. Connected, downloaded but then couldn't save it) via USB, tried another pair of RAM. same with win installed on old normal SSD, and so on and so on. 

checked several combinations, still had many issues. Now: asking for help, or if i have to return my board. My Stream is down for over a week now . . . this is sooooo bad :(

ok - well. anyway.

any . . . ANY ideas ?! enough information?

greetings

steffen
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Failtainment_TV Failtainment_TV wrote:

Hi all,

tried to configure z170 extr.7+ with i6700K, F4-3400C16D-16GT (2x8), Samsung 950 M.2 Pro & my old SuperJetstream 980

Issues: needed days to get the 950 running despite several guids. Problem: if i connect other SSDs, HDDs or the Frontpanel (together or separately or in different combinations), whole system get's confused. Installed win7 on 950, put another ssd in, couldn't find SSD anymore. same with another HDD or at other ports). GPU can be seen in UEFI, but not in WIN (have to install 7 first, then upgrade to 10), Corsair H115i, connected to internal USB, could not be found. Tried another slot with the GPU: same issue. If i move around the mouse while UEFI starting, i can see the mousetrail (graficfailure), and so on and so on. 
Sounds familiar in any way? Or . . . defect Motherboard? Or what? pleeeeease no defect MoBo :( . . . 

Not my first Computer, built on my own. even used ESD protection. Don't know what to do. Had problems with original UEFI . . . don't know . . . 1.2 or so. Updated to 3.0 (what btw. won't work via Internet. Connected, downloaded but then couldn't save it) via USB, tried another pair of RAM. same with win installed on old normal SSD, and so on and so on. 

checked several combinations, still had many issues. Now: asking for help, or if i have to return my board. My Stream is down for over a week now . . . this is sooooo bad :(

ok - well. anyway.

any . . . ANY ideas ?! enough information?

greetings

steffen

You mentioned many things in your post, and I'm not sure I understand all of it.

First, Windows 7. Two problems with it, one related to the 950 Pro.

Skylake boards/systems only support the USB 3.0/XHCI controller, which can be used with USB 2.0 ports. But Windows 7 does not have a built in USB 3.0 driver. Your board's manual has a section describing how to fix the Windows 7 installation files to include a USB 3.0 driver. Did you fix your Windows 7 installation media to include a USB 3.0 driver? Or have you tried to install a USB 3.0 driver after the Windows 7 installation?

You seem to have gotten Windows 7 installed on a 950 Pro, using the EFI Bootloader. Did you fix the Windows 7 installation file location of the EFI Bootloader program?

Just to let you know, you do not need to install Windows 7 to upgrade to Windows 10. Microsoft changed their policy on this. You can use a Windows 7 product key with a new Windows 10 installation, and Windows 10 will be activated with the Windows 7 key. Microsoft calls this Digital Entitlement.

Next, the SSD and HDD that cannot be found. The Skylake Z170 chipset uses the chipset resources for the M.2 slots. The M.2 slots are NOT connected to the CPU's PCIe 3.0 lanes anymore. This means that the M.2 slots share resources with the Intel SATA ports. If an M.2 port is being used, two of the Intel SATA ports will not be usable. The manual describes the M.2 port and SATA III port sharing:

M2_1, SATA3_0, SATA3_1 and SATA_EXP0 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled. 

M2_2, SATA3_2, SATA3_3 and SATA_EXP1 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled. 

M2_3, SATA3_4, SATA3_5 and SATA_EXP2 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

Notice in the above that connecting the USB 3.1 front panel to a SATA Express connection is again sharing resources. With the 950 Pro and USB 3.1 front panel connected, that leaves only two of the Intel SATA ports available for use. I don't know what M.2 port you are using, or where the USB 3.1 front panel is connected, so cannot tell you which Intel SATA ports can be used.

Your 980 should be seen fine by Windows if it can be seen in the UEFI. I wonder if the Windows 7 graphics driver can work with a 980? Which PCIE slot are you using for the 980? Are you clearing the UEFI/BIOS when you move the card to a different slot?

Not sure what memory you have, is that TridentZ? You left out the 'Z' at the end I think. If you have your memory running at 3400 now, set it to 2133 until everything is installed in the PC. You are just making it more difficult for yourself.

The Corsair Link software I won't try to deal with, it is known to be very poor software, and the status of your USB ports is unknown, given the use of Windows 7.

Why are you moving the mouse when the board is trying to start the UEFI UI? The mouse trail does not mean a graphics failure.

Failtainment_TV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failtainment_TV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 10:28am
OK. Quick answer now. Detailed Information later.

I think i got it running! Thanks for your help. A combination of all your answer/help seemed to fix it :)

i use the TridentZ, as mentioned in the RAM support list.

Question is: will the board be able to cope with 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 ?! Even if i will upgrade it to 32GB later? not really in the support-list, but . . . in range of capacity, speed and the correct manufacturer. I have one day left to test (but only have 16GB atm), before i have to return it. thx again for your quick answer, information and help :)

steffen
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2016 at 12:03pm

OK. Quick answer now. Detailed Information later.

I think i got it running! Thanks for your help. A combination of all your answer/help seemed to fix it :)

i use the TridentZ, as mentioned in the RAM support list.

Question is: will the board be able to cope with 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3733 ?! Even if i will upgrade it to 32GB later? not really in the support-list, but . . . in range of capacity, speed and the correct manufacturer. I have one day left to test (but only have 16GB atm), before i have to return it. thx again for your quick answer, information and help :)

steffen

Glad that helped you. The Skylake platform has changed several basic things that I described. Some are improvements, others are a compromise.

Most likely, no it won't. And trying to use 32GB is even less likely to work. The later UEFI updates may have increased memory compatibility beyond what we see in the Memory Support List, but currently it's one 4GB 3733 DIMM in single channel mode.

If you were planning on buying two separate 3733 16GB kits, for a total of 32GB, that will surely not work. Memory at that speed must be purchased in matched kits, unless you get very lucky.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failtainment_TV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 5:35pm
ok. but buying another 16GB (2x8) dual kit from that DDR4 3400 8GB G.Skill TridentZ F4-3400C16D-16GTZ will work? not really have the money for 32GB right now . . . o.O :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failtainment_TV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 5:37pm
Asrock Website shows the DDR4 3400 8GB G.Skill tridentZ F4-3400C16Q-32GTZ-kit as supported RAM.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 1:10am

Asrock Website shows the DDR4 3400 8GB G.Skill tridentZ F4-3400C16Q-32GTZ-kit as supported RAM.

Yes, that kit should work fine.

My previous point was the very high speed DDR4 memory, at and above 3600, is more difficult for the board to deal with, and also when using larger amounts of memory at those speeds.

In your earlier post, you asked about 16GB and 32GB of 3733 memory. There are no kits listed for 16GB at 3733. We find only three kits of 16GB at 3600, and the others are either one or two 4GB DIMMS.

The capability of the memory controller in your CPU is also a factor regarding how you can OC memory. Intel only guarantees memory speeds up to 2133 on Skylake processors, but that includes up to 64GB of memory.

Just as the OC limit of your CPU is not guaranteed, the same is true when we OC memory. The speed of the memory and the amount being used are both factors that will limit the OC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Failtainment_TV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 5:41pm
sorry.
i am not really sure, so: a later upgrade with another 2x8GB 3400 set will work properly?

I have / want to spare money atm, if possible. so: first i thought to stay with one DDR4 3400 8GB G.Skill TridentZ F4-3400C16D-16GTZ kit (16GB), then later add another 2x8GB (16GB --> 32GB) of the same configuration. will that work properly?

because: if a setting with a direct setup with a F4-3400C16Q-32GTZ kit will work better/faster/more stable . . . well . . . then i have to deal with it and sell my kidney for that :) should be the last question in this thread :)

so: better return the 2x8 kit for later upgrade and direclty go the last mile and buy the DDR4 3400 8GB G.Skill tridentZ F4-3400C16Q-32GTZ-kit !?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2016 at 11:17pm

sorry.
i am not really sure, so: a later upgrade with another 2x8GB 3400 set will work properly?

I have / want to spare money atm, if possible. so: first i thought to stay with one DDR4 3400 8GB G.Skill TridentZ F4-3400C16D-16GTZ kit (16GB), then later add another 2x8GB (16GB --> 32GB) of the same configuration. will that work properly?

because: if a setting with a direct setup with a F4-3400C16Q-32GTZ kit will work better/faster/more stable . . . well . . . then i have to deal with it and sell my kidney for that :) should be the last question in this thread :)

so: better return the 2x8 kit for later upgrade and direclty go the last mile and buy the DDR4 3400 8GB G.Skill tridentZ F4-3400C16Q-32GTZ-kit !?

No need to be sorry, these things can be confusing, and it's not like we are standing next to each other talking. We can correct ourselves easily in an actual conversation, but going by a few sentences we've written as the only communication between us is difficult if everything is not perfect. Perfect on the sending and receiving end... meaning you wrote exactly what you meant to say, and then I understand exactly what you meant. That is not easy. Confused

This is the potential problem with buying two kits of the same memory model, at two different times, and possibly from two different sources:

G.SKILL is a fine company, but they do not manufacture their own memory chips. They buy memory chips from Samsung, Hynix, etc. Let's say they make the TridentZ F4-3400C16D-16GTZ kit that you have now with Samsung memory chips.

G.SKILL does not have an infinite supply of any particular type of memory chip, since they buy them from various sources. So a month or two later, they run out of the Samsung memory chips they used in the F4-3400C16D-16GTZ kit you have. G.SKILL still wants to sell the TridentZ memory models, but for whatever reason, they can't get the same Samsung memory chips anymore, or at least immediately. So they change to Hynix memory chips in the next production of the F4-3400C16D-16GTZ memory model.

All DDRX memory chips from different manufactures are not identical, they can have different capacities and other parameters are different. Those differences matter to the memory controller in the CPU, it prefers the memory chips in all the DIMMs to be as identical as possible. There is some give and take in the differences the memory controller can deal with, but it has limits.

The bottom line is no one can guarantee that two kits of the same memory model, that may be using different chips in different production runs, will work together. This is the main reason that matched DIMMs in a memory kit is important.

That scenario will be pure luck, and is beyond our control. That's the reason I cannot tell you two memory kits from G.SKILL bought at two different times will work together.

The Crucial company is an example of the opposite of this situation. Crucial makes their own memory chips. I've bought multiple kits of the same model of Crucial memory at different times, and they all work together fine. Crucial kits do not even have sequential serial numbers on the DIMMs, in the same package!

Am I telling you to use Crucial memory? No, just an example of the differences between the two companies.

I hope you can understand why I cannot tell you if what you'd like to do will work. Simply the reality of the situation. Can I tell you what are the chances you'll get two kits with the same memory chips? No more than you can.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic