ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

E35LM1 - option rom (disable / enable)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Professor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E35LM1 - option rom (disable / enable)
    Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 3:50pm
Hi All.

As per the topic title I am trying to disable / enable the "Option ROM" on my ASRock E35LM1.

The board is running the latest bios v1.90, but I can not seem to find any settings within the bios to disable / enable the Option ROM.

Maybe I am just being blind or that ASRock calls it by another name.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 12:04pm
Can I ask what is leading you to inquire of this.

Most aren't affected.
Mad Professor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mad Professor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 4:29pm
wardog: Thank you for your reply.

I have two ASRock E35LM1 motherboards, and I am looking to use them to build two NAS units.

I have add-in PCI-E raid controller card's (HP P410) that I wish to use with the E35LM1's.

The problem is that as the raid controller's are from a hp server's, when it finishes initializing it can not detect a HP system and reboots, so you get a continuous boot loop.

From what I have been able to find out there is currently only two possible options.
(1) downgrade the controller firmware.
(2) disable option rom in the system bios, and control the controller via drivers/software.

I have tried both options.
downgrading the controller firmware is not an option for me as this is very outdated, and has limited functionality.
disabling the option rom is the only available option, I know that this will work as I have tried it with another system.

But the problem seems that you can not disable / enable the option rom within the E35LM1 system bios.

Thanks again for your time.

Edited by Mad Professor - 26 Jun 2016 at 4:36pm
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 5:49pm
Your P410's, one, can you enter their BIOS, and secondly, what BIOS is the card flashed to?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 5:53pm
Oh! Using these as RAID or simply HBAs ?
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by Mad Professor Mad Professor wrote:

Hi All.

As per the topic title I am trying to disable / enable the "Option ROM" on my ASRock E35LM1.

The board is running the latest bios v1.90, but I can not seem to find any settings within the bios to disable / enable the Option ROM.

Maybe I am just being blind or that ASRock calls it by another name.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards.

There are usually multiple Option ROMs in a board's UEFI/BIOS. Such as, the SATA/Storage Option ROM, and Network Option ROM.

In your case, I assume you want to disable the SATA Option ROM?

One thing you can try, if your board has this option, is find an option in the BIOS called CSM. I don't see it in the manual, but a BIOS update might have added it.

ASRock usually puts the CSM option in the ACPI Configuration screen (older boards) or the Boot screen. Older AMD boards may not have this option.

With CSM enabled, there should be an option called Launch Storage OpROM Policy. One of its settings is Do not launch. If that will do what you want to do, I'm not 100% certain.

Another thing to try is in the Storage Configuration screen, the SATA Controller option. Setting it to Disabled might accomplish what you want to do. This option will disable the AMD SATA controller, so none of the board's SATA ports will function.

Otherwise, I am not aware of a specific option in an ASRock board's UEFI/BIOS to disable Option ROMs.

What is the option called on the "other system" that allows you to disable an Option ROM? What board is that?
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 5:31am
But I don't understand the "it can not detect a HP system and reboots". It shouldn't behave this way. HP specific system or not.

What is the EXACT wording you're greeted with before it reboots, and are there HDDs connected to the fan out end(s) of the SFF-8087 cable(s).

Have you cleared or reconfigured the cards BIOSes/Firmware to YOUR needs vs any past owners needs?

What OS are these cards behaving this way under?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic