ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Asrock B550M Steel Legend wont POST after shutdown
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock B550M Steel Legend wont POST after shutdown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saberpeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock B550M Steel Legend wont POST after shutdown
    Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 2:28pm
Hello, I just got a brand new Asrock B550M Steel Legend to replace the cheap motherboard that came with my HP OMEN 30L. Things work fine except that when I restart or shut the computer down, it won't get past POST again without pulling the power plug and holding down the power button to drain the caps. After that it POSTs fine and boots up with no issues and everything runs normally until the next time I try to boot. When it get like this it gets stuck with the fans running at high speed and it does not respond to the power button at all. During this the CPU and RAM test lights are lit.

Currently running the latest BIOS version 3.40.
AMD Ryzen 5600X, Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB, Gskill RipJaws F4-3600C16D-32GVKC

Any help would be greatly appreciated, really hoping I don't have to go shopping for a different mobo.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 6:59pm
Did you upgrade the PSU? From a quick google search it seems the stock one is only
500w.
That could easily be the issue.
Saberpeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saberpeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 7:46pm
Thanks for the suggestion. My model actually has an 800W PSU. I remember finding it kind of funny that they offered 500W as an option since that's so far below the minimum recommended to run a 3080.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2024 at 8:10pm
Major OEMs like Dell, HP, and Lenovo do weird things with their power supply connections. In fact, I think there was even a case where Dell used the same connector with different pinouts, leading to catastrophic failures when their power supply was used with a standard motherboard.

I know for sure there is a converter cable available for standard power supply to Lenovo motherboard, because I own one. But I don't have any personal experience with Dell or HP.

Having wrote all that, quick search says HP OMEN 30L uses standard components.
So maybe the issue is something simpler, like incorrect wiring of the front-panel connectors. You know, all those non-standardized power switch, power LED, reset switch, HDD LED type connectors.

It's almost comical that they haven't standardized these connectors all these decades.
Saberpeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saberpeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 6:13am
I don't think a front panel connection could cause it not to post though right? Anyways this case only has two front panel connections power switch and power led, both of which are just standard 2 pin headers.

The mysterious part is still that it posts totally fine if the power is removed first, so it seems unlikely that its something so simple. I would think that would indicate it has something to do with the cmos or something like that.

The worst part is it only happens like 90% of the time which is making it really hard to troubleshoot. I try something and it doesn't happen and it's like "aha I got it" and then it just happens again next time.
Saberpeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saberpeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 7:38pm
Oh I think I understand where we got confused about the power button. When I said it doesn't respond to the power button, I meant when its in that failed-post state it didn't seem to work to hold the power button down to turn it back off. The power button works fine when the system is operating normally.

And it turns out I was wrong about that anyways, holding the power button can turn it back off, I just wasn't holding it long enough.

If I hold the power button to turn it back off while its not POSTing, and then press the power button to turn it on again it still fails to POST. I must unplug the power from the PSU and hold the power button till the led lights go off (draining the power stored in caps). Then when I re-plug the power and press the power button again it POSTs successfully and starts up just fine.

That's whats so weird about it, its not like something obvious mis-plugged or whatever because when it works, it works. Its a real shame because this motherboard is the only one I could find with all the features I was looking for (m.2 wifi card slot, usb-c on the back panel, headers in reasonable locations for my case, etc.) But if I cant figure this out before my Amazon return window closes in march I'm just gonna have to get rid of it.

Is there any way to get real POST codes out of it instead of just those four useless red leds it has?
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2024 at 11:43pm
I searched online and didn't find anything useful.
Most point to power supply. Others possible short somewhere.

Did you check to make sure motherboard standoffs (8 total) are all in the right places? Most of them are very much standard for mATX, but apparently, the one on the bottom (close to the CMOS battery) can have 2 variations, closer to the edge or more inward.

The only other thing I can think of is to unplug ALL USB devices to see if it helps. I've read of weird situations where a particular USB device prevented correct boot operation. If it works, you'll have to re-plug them in one at a time to narrow it down further.

As for the "Post Status Checker," I didn't even know it existed! For any sort of LED indicators like that, I take a video (sometimes using high-frame-rate camera) to review what happened during boot. No idea where to get the information, though. Does it even light up?
Saberpeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saberpeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 9:03am
OK so I've done some testing and I think I've narrowed it down to ram. While I still had my previous HP mobo I had upgraded the ram, and I put that old ram into this system and it seems to post fine every time. Now I'm pretty sure that the new ram isn't bad because it worked in the old HP mobo just fine. So my guess is that this Asrock mobo is just extremely picky about ram timings. Though I can't be 100% conclusive yet because the issue is somewhat intermittent and only affects warm bootups.
Saberpeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saberpeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2024 at 10:12am
Oh right I should probably list the ram in question:

Older Ram - stable
HP hp37d4u1s8me-8xr (branded Kingston HyperX Fury)
DDR4-3733 21-23-23-55 (XMP)
2x8GB

Current Ram - seemingly stable but causes posting issues
Gskill F4-3600C16-16GVKC
DDR4-3600 16-19-19-39 (XMP)
2x16GB

And no I am not mixing ram kits, these are tested separately.
Does anyone know if there is a way to perhaps tweak the clocks or something to be a bit more stable?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic