ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fatal1ty X99X Killer Problem starting up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fatal1ty X99X Killer Problem starting up
    Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 11:54pm
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer/3.1
CPU: Intel Core i7-6850K
RAM: G.skill TridentZ 32GB (4x8) 3600MHz CL17
Graphic: EVGA GeForce GT 610 1GB

I just received a BIOS chip from ASRock that supports Broadwell-E CPU. I cleared CMOS, pressed Reset. There is a bunch of error codes razing through the led display, and it finally settles on 99.

I have a cheap graphics card that doesn't need extra power. I have tried it in slot1 and slot3, but still the error code settles on 99.

I had to tape it and show it in slow motion in order to get all the error codes:
04 09 19 88 b0 AF 04 09 19 A9 88 b0 b8 b2 b1 b8 b6 b7 bd b2 b7 bd b2 bd b2 bd b2 bd b9 b8 bF 38 33 32 4F 61 9A 78 88 68 88 78 79 99 91 99 95 96 88 b2 88 98 99 98 9C 88 b4 88 9C 68 b4 88 99 
It settled on 99 and stayed there.

92 - 99
Problem related to PCI-E devices. Please re-install PCI-E
devices or try installing them in other slots. If the problem
still exists, please remove all PCI-E devices or try using
another VGA card.

I have one M.2 SSD which uses PCI-E. Did not try to remove it, not sure if that is the problem. I have no other SATA drives installed on the motherboard. I have the regular ATX and one CPU power supply cable attached to the motherboard. I have even tried to attach an extra perif 4pin molex to the motherboard.

I have 4 memory modules placed in A1, B1, C1 and D1.

Edited by DJViking - 02 Jul 2016 at 1:55am
DJViking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 1:55am
Removed the M.2 SSD, startup still showed the same error codes
Removed 3 of 4 memory modules, same error codes.

Not sure what the problem is then. Could the graphic card be damaged? It is brand spanking new, though cheap.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 11:20pm
First, about the POST "error" codes.

POST (Power On Self Test) is a set of many individual tests or procedures that verifies the correct functioning of the hardware used in a PC. Each test has a code that identifies it. The Dr Debug display shows these codes as each test is being executed. The codes do not identify an error, they simply identify each POST test/procedure.

It is normal for these codes to be displayed when the PC starts or restarts, since the POST procedures are run at that time. There is only one situation where the display of a POST code actually indicates a problem.

IF a POST code is shown on the Dr Debug display, and it remains displayed, that means that particular POST test failed for some reason. The sequence of POST tests will stop when one fails, which also stops the PC's start up and OS boot process. The failure of a POST test means the PC will not be able to start normally, or get into the UEFI/BIOS UI.

Nice job recording all the POST codes, but the only one that matters is the last one, that remains displayed. All the other POST tests whose codes you saw, completed successfully. I've wanted a list of the sequence of POST tests on an X99 board, so thanks for that!

So you seem to have a problem with the video card. Which PCIe slot are you using for the video card?

Just so we know, what M.2 SSD are you using? I'm not sure if you use that SSD in the M.2 slot, or with a PCIe adapter card, in a PCIe slot.

If you put an M.2 SSD in the M.2 slot, then the PCIE5 slot will be disabled. Since you removed this SSD for a test, that does not seem to be related to your problem.

The video card could be defective, in theory, DOA out of the box. Which PCIe slot are you using?

Have you tried removing and inserting the video card again? To be certain that it is fully seated in the PCIe slot? Easy to make this mistake, or I've seen PC cases that pull on video cards when the screw(s) that connect the card's bracket to the PC case are inserted and screwed in.

Did you flip the locking latch on the PCIe slot up, into the locked position? Sorry, just going over everything possible. Embarrassed

The obvious next step is to try a different video card. Any chance you have on available?

You don't have anything else in a PCIe slot, correct?

The new BIOS chip is in the BIOS_A socket?

You can try removing the board's battery, to clear any old data that is not cleared when using the UEFI/BIOS clear jumper.

Normally, ASRock does not suggest doing a UEFI/BIOS clear after performing a UEFI/BIOS update. I imagine swapping a BIOS chip would qualify. That should not hurt anything or cause your problem, but I mention this so you don't do it again. Unless you were instructed to do so with the new BIOS chip.
DJViking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 12:44am
Thanks for the information. It really put my mind at ease.

I have tried the graphic card in slot 1 and slot3. Made sure the card was all inn the slot by pressing it down a little.

My M.2 SSD is Samsung 950 Pro 512GB. Got same error 99 when I removed the SSD. I installed it in the M.2 slot.

ASRock gave me no instruction to clear BIOS after installed. Though I did try push clear CMOS button and pressed reset button. The new BIOS chip was installed in BIOS A socket.

Have only a graphic card in PCI-E. Low end without need for extra power. I will try a different graphic card, but will have to aquire a new cheap one. Will be a couple of weeks before I can try again.
DJViking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJViking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 6:43pm
Removed the M.2 SSD
Tried the graphic card in SLOT 1 and SLOT 3
It still settles on 99 in the onboard display.

92 - 99
Problem related to PCI-E devices. Please re-install PCI-E
devices or try installing them in other slots. If the problem
still exists, please remove all PCI-E devices or try using
another VGA card.

What does 99 say different than 92? Low power, damaged card.

I have one last recourse. Take the graphic card from my current computer and try.

Edit: Success
I removed the low profile graphic card (without pins for power) and placed my ASUS Nvidia GTX 650Ti (with 6pin power) and I was able to boot into BIOS.

Perhaps I then can conclude that my new low end EVGA Nvidia GT 610 graphic card is dead?
Could it be possibly that the motherboard did not have enough power to supply the graphic card?

Edited by DJViking - 18 Jul 2016 at 10:36pm
22curious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 22curious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 2:22am
I've run into the same Dr. Debug code 99 roadblock, the fact that @DJViking found a solution gives me hope!   

@DJViking - I'd really appreciate it if you'd share your solution -- was it a graphics card failure? 

I'm having the same issue, Dr. Debug code 99 on a similar ASRock X99 board (the Taichi). 

Finding solutions requires asking better questions, and being receptive to answers that might not be comfortable...
stookie72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stookie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2017 at 1:51am
Hi there.
Me too. Error 99 in slots 1-2 and d6 in slot 3.
Also have a low end Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti card without additional Power plug.
I will be taking apart my old machine to see if that card fit's and works just to see.

But has anyone a solution?
Ledian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ledian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 9:58am
Hi guys,

Had same issue on Fatality x99 Professional
CPU: i76850k
RAM: 8X8GB
GPU: 3X1080ti, 1x1050
SSD: ME 960PRO plugged into UltraM2

At first it was the same issue, stuck at 99 without showing anything on screen. Tried to update BIOS but it didn't reboot properly and now it got stuck in a loop where it shows the following, 14, b0 and then switches off. Any idea how to solve this?? I've tried to clear CMOS, tried removing the battery, tried switching to BIOS Bchannel although none of them changed anything. Any suggestion would be appreciated!
stookie72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stookie72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2018 at 7:12pm
Hi there.
Quick "update" from my side on this case.
In the end it was a faulty Motherboard. After an exchange all was fine again.
Weird though at first it was yes... :-(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic