ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

DRAM Solid Red Light Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barrypg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DRAM Solid Red Light Question
    Posted: 21 Feb 2024 at 6:00am
I have a Windows 11 PC with an ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S motherboard and Intel i7 chip. I bought it in 2009 from MicroCenter and it's a PowerSpec.

I recently had MicroCenter upgrade the memory from 16 GB (2x8) to 32 GB (2X 16) of compatible memory. I had them check the motherboard requirements for the memory before I purchased it. I originally purchased another brand there but after I tried to swap it at home for the original sticks, the PC wouldn't boot into Windows, so I took it to MicroCenter to diagnose. They ran a PC Doctor test and it passed everything and they were able to install the RAM I bought.

But, once home, I ran into a problem.

Since then, whenever the PC entered into "sleep" mode, a solid DRAM light comes on upon waking. The only way to get the light to shut off is to power off and then power on the PC via reboot or shutdown and restart. Once it boots up, it works fine. Then, if/when the PC goes back to sleep, again, upon waking it, the red solid light comes on.

So I took it back to MicroCenter and exchanged the RAM for a different brand, this time, Crucial Pro RAM.

MicroCenter ran yet another PC Doctor test and all of the hardware "passed" again.

So I get home and the same problem is happening again. Whenever the PC goes into "Sleep" mode, the instant I wake it up, the solid DRAM light comes on again and I can only get it to turn off by either restarting or shutting down and restarting the PC.

Note: I haven't tried updating the Bios and it still has the original one from when I bought the PC. I looked on AS Rock's support tab for this motherboard and there have been Bios updates with the last one being in 2021.

Should I try to update the BIOS and will that possibly fix the solid red light issue? Any other troubleshooting ideas or suggestions?

Should I just ignore the red light since the PC is otherwise working fine?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic