ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

x99 extreme6/3.1 - motherboard does not post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: x99 extreme6/3.1 - motherboard does not post
    Posted: 06 Jul 2016 at 8:24pm
hi,

i hope you cn help me. i got my new motherboard (x99 extreme6/3.1), a xeon e5-2698 and ram (4x 16gb kvr21r15d4k4/16) the sticker on the bios chips says p1.0.

when i start up the mb (with cpu and ram - in A1, B1, C1, D1) dr debug showes me code 19 which seems to be a problem with the ram.

i checked every single ram stick in A1 but got the same code 19.

i even boght a new 4gb ram stick (ct4g4dfs9213) an still got the same code 19 with it.

what can i do?

sme

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 12:44am
Originally posted by sme sme wrote:

hi,

i hope you cn help me. i got my new motherboard (x99 extreme6/3.1), a xeon e5-2698 and ram (4x 16gb kvr21r15d4k4/16) the sticker on the bios chips says p1.0.

when i start up the mb (with cpu and ram - in A1, B1, C1, D1) dr debug showes me code 19 which seems to be a problem with the ram.

i checked every single ram stick in A1 but got the same code 19.

i even boght a new 4gb ram stick (ct4g4dfs9213) an still got the same code 19 with it.

what can i do?

sme

You're using a Xeon E5-2698 v4, which is a Broadwell type Xeon, a 20 core processor Shocked  Is it this processor, to just verify 100%: http://ark.intel.com/products/91753/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2698-v4-50M-Cache-2_20-GHz

Your X99 Extreme6/3.1 board has UEFI/BIOS version P1.00, according to the stickers on the chips, right?

This processor is compatible with your board, but you must have at least UEFI/BIOS version P3.00 installed, or the board will not start. Your board's processor compatibility list:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99%20Extreme63.1/?cat=CPU

Your memory is not the problem. You won't be able to get the board to start into the UEFI/BIOS with the current 1.00 UEFI/BIOS version in your board. Which means you cannot perform a UEFI/BIOS update to P3.00. More information about what to do about this in a moment.

Sorry to say, this is an issue with Intel processors, where a new processor generation (Broadwell-E in this case, which includes the corresponding Xeon processors, like yours) can be used with the previous generation processor's chipset, X99 and Haswell-E in this case.

The main issue is, the CPU microcode for the original/previous generation processor is not compatible with the new generation processor. The CPU microcode is stored in the UEFI/BIOS file, so can only be changed with a UEFI/BIOS update.

This is the same situation the X79 chipset boards have, which can use Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E type processors. Intel has not found or provided a workaround for this problem for X99 boards. All mother board manufacture's X99 boards will have the same issue.

The first option to fix this is to somehow get a Haswell-E processor to use in the board to perform the UEFI/BIOS update to version P3.00. I have a X99 Extreme6/3.1 board, and used my Haswell-E i7-5820K processor to update the UEFI/BIOS to version P3.00, which works fine. After that, I put a Broadwell-E processor in the board, and it works fine.

The second option is to replace the BIOS chip(s) with one(s) that have the appropriate UEFI/BIOS version flashed into the chips. Your ASRock board has the BIOS chips in sockets, that allow the chips to be replaced (carefully) by the user. No soldering is required.

Where do you get these BIOS chips? They can be ordered directly from ASRock using this form:

http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=RMA

Another option is sources on eBay, that sell BIOS chips pre-flashed with the UEFI/BIOS version you need. I can't suggest a particular vendor on eBay, you should be able to find them by searching on eBay, or a google search.

You also must install the new version of the Intel Management Engine software, the Intel Management Engine driver ver:11.0.4.1186 on your board's download page, after you install Windows. The version of this software on the disk provided with your board is an older version.

sme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 3:46am
thank you very much!
i contacted the support of asrock and they promised me to send me a bios chip with p3.0 on it.

just wondering. when i replace one of the bios chips can i clone/copy it to the other chip? is there an option in the bios to do that?

parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 10:02am
Originally posted by sme sme wrote:

thank you very much!
i contacted the support of asrock and they promised me to send me a bios chip with p3.0 on it.

just wondering. when i replace one of the bios chips can i clone/copy it to the other chip? is there an option in the bios to do that?

Yes, it is called Secure Backup UEFI, an option in the Tools section of the UEFI. The manual describes how to use it, in the Smart Switches section, page 27. Be sure to read how it works before using it.

You should use the following procedure with a dual BIOS chip board like this one, and the situation with the use of Broadwell-E processors, and their UEFI version requirement.

The two BIOS chips are labeled A and B. A is the main BIOS chip, B is the backup BIOS chip. The B, backup BIOS chip cannot be updated to a different UEFI version directly.

Since the pre-P3.00 UEFI versions are worthless for use with a Broadwell-E processor, the new BIOS chip with the P3.00 UEFI should be put in the backup B BIOS socket. That will become the base Broadwell-E UEFI version for your board. You then use the Secure Backup UEFI tool to copy P3.00 from the B, backup BIOS chip to the A, main BIOS chip.

If you simply put the new BIOS chip in the main, A socket, you won't have a functioning dual BIOS chip system. That is because you cannot copy from the A to the B BIOS chip.

BEFORE you copy the P3.00 UEFI to the A BIOS chip, start the PC with the BIOS selection switch in the 'B' position. Otherwise, the PC will still not boot. Be very sure that the PC will POST and you can get into the UEFI using the B BIOS chip. If you still cannot POST, then you may have another problem.

Again, read how the Secure Backup UEFI, and dual BIOS chip system works, before using it.

If all goes well, and you can copy P3.00 from the B to A BIOS chip, you then switch back to the A BIOS chip for normal use. Be sure to have the board OFF and disconnected from power when moving the BIOS chip selection switch. Of course the same is true when you insert the new BIOS chip. You should remove the board's battery before you remove and replace the BIOS chips.
sme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 12:24pm
hi parsec,

thank you so much for your help and explenation of the different steps. i just hope my chip arrives soon and the bios version is the only issue i encounter during my build.

sme
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic