ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extreme 7+ Strange behavior USB3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wijgers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extreme 7+ Strange behavior USB3
    Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 2:14pm

Hi all,

I recently bought a Extreme7+ mb to host my i7 processor and m.2 drives. Installation went perfectly and all is running smoothly. However I experience strange behavior with the USB3 sockets. I bought also the Enermax ECR501 card-reader, for the USB3 card-reader part. However when I plugin the 19 pin plug before booting and let the MB handle all, the card-reading part doesn?�t work. Got also an error in the device manager.

The odd thing I noticed, when I started the machine without connecting the cardreader, and when Win10 was booted connecting the cable, the card-reading part was working perfectly!!!!

After reboot same thing. Exclamation mark in device-manager (Win10) on the USB (high-speed) controller. And the card-reader was not working anymore??

I did change some settings like legacy USB (disabled, enables, Uefi boot only) Nothing worked. I also updated the Bios to 3.0, also not the solution.

I?�m a bit puzzled right now

Who can help me out???

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 3:15pm
I take it this is the Z170 Extreme7+?

I have seen a lot of issues with USB on the intel 100 series, it seems intel's controller is a little different to previous generations and has been causing some issues. Hopefully there is a firmware solution to the problem soon but until then, I would recommend simply connecting the device after the system is booted.

The fact that it is working would indicate there is some incompatibility between the device and the way the board handles USB wake events. It is working though so it isn't a major issue, likely the 100 series USB controller does not provide enough power on wake to allow the card reader to properly initialize.

Keep checking for BIOS updates, at some point there should be a fix. If the matter is urgent for some reason then contact Tech Support directly. Be sure to include your full system specs as well as the make and model of the card reader.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2016 at 5:56pm
Windows 10 is also different in the way it deals with the USB 3.0 interface. It only uses the Win 10 built in USB 3.0 driver. There are no USB 3.0 drivers supplied to download for Windows 10 for your board, and others too.

The Enermax ECR501 does not list Windows 10 as a compatible OS in the specifications. You might want to check with Enermax about that.

http://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_2&lv0=3&lv1=82&no=284
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic