ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Z97E-ITX/ac boots itself randomly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2016 at 9:26pm
Play along here as strange as this may sound .............

Your NIC, is WoL enabled? Too, if you were to disconnect the LAN cable does it power itself on?
macShen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macShen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2016 at 7:18pm

I'd say it takes approx. 24h to find the PC booted again.

Hybernate was deactivated in the beginning, it booted anyway.

WoL is disabled in BIOS, NIC is enabled, but no Ethernet cable connected.
The powercfg tells me it's from the USB3 port, so i'd say it has nothing to do with the Network.
But still... i tried almost every possible config on my rig to find the Problem.

Maybe it's just Earth magnetic field or a silly ghost ^^ really loosing my Patience here.

Thank you for your Support.

Mac

JustMeHere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustMeHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 2:47am
Check you task manager scheduler.  You might have a scheduled task that will wake up the computer.

Edited by JustMeHere - 17 Aug 2016 at 2:57am
macShen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macShen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 2:25pm
Hi guys.

I'll try to swap on an additional PSU and check if the behavior is still the same.
Also going to check the task scheduler.

Wish me luck
macShen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macShen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 4:53pm
Hi all. I  now installed a power socket with a net filter.
Looks like the sinus in my house isn't as it should be.
However... the thing is installed for 1 week now and no abnormal boots since then.
The change of the PSU didn't work!

Hope this solves this problem once and for all
macShen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macShen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 5:03pm

Hello

Unfortunately my problem isn't solved yet.
My PC still boots itself from time to time when I forget to turn of the hard switch on the powersplitter.
I've found so many posts of other user with the same problem on ASUS or AsRock boards...
Really wish yomeone could fix this tho.

Keep digging... 
macShen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote macShen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 5:57pm
Fixed by disabling the F***IN Smart connect via BIOS

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 6:29pm
Awesome, thanks for the link. I discovered the same issue on my Z97 Extreme 3 the other day, I walked in to my office and it was on, it hasn't even been plugged in for months but after cleaning out behind my desk I reconnected it. It was off when I went out and on when I came back. This has happened 3 times since. I will try what the link suggests myself and post back at some point later in the week.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2016 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by macShen macShen wrote:

Fixed by disabling the F***IN Smart connect via BIOS

That's not a bug, that's a feature! Wink  Well, actually it is a feature, but one I routinely disabled in the UEFI/BIOS of my Z87 and Z97 boards.

I suppose it might be somewhat handy to have, if you have a slow Internet connection for email for example, but that must be rather rare now. Never used it even once.

My question is, why that feature was enabled by default? I think we can figure that out ourselves... because someone wanted it that way.

I completely forgot about Intel's Smart Connect, since it is not included in my X99, H110, and Z170 systems. You were right about a ghost in the machine. Wink
macShen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote macShen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 4:55pm
I agree, it's not a bug.
But in the description of it in BIOS it says that this feature can wake your PC from sleep or hibernate.

BUT it woke my PC from the fully shut down state, so this is indeed a bug to me.

Who want's his desktop PC to check social media crap automatically? this is maybe useful for notebooks and so on.

still had no further random boot ups by the time.

I'm happy this solved my and a few others problem.

Sorry for my English and have a potato :)
Nice Friday everyone
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic