ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

No image and no mobo feedback (X99 Extreme4)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pragmateek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No image and no mobo feedback (X99 Extreme4)
    Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 5:13am
Hello all,

I've just built up my new configuration whose main elements are:
- ASRock x99 Extreme4
- Intel i7-5820K
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000Mhz CL15
- NVidia GT GeForce 710

Now when the PC boots up here is what I observe:
- no beep
- no light on the mobo, not even a red one
- all the fans (power supply, case and cooler) are spinning,
- no display, screen does not receive anything.
This state seems stable, the PC does not reboot, at least during 2 minutes, I've not tried any longer.

What I've done so far :
- remove the CPU, doucle-check the socket, and reinstall it
- double-check the 2x4 CPU power connector
- try with a single then 2 RAM modules on A1 and B1 (recommended by the manual),
- plug the GPU into PCIe slot 1
- plug it with VGA instead of HDMI (not sure it has any importance)
- remove the SSD.

So here is what remains on the mobo : the CPU, 2 RAM modules and the GPU. (image below)

I have no clue of what is going wrong as the mobo does not give any kind of feedback.

So my questions are:
- is it normal that the mobo does not beep nor light up some LED?
- what could I check to identify the failing part(s)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here is an image of the minimal setup:
- CPU and its power connector at the top
- RAM modules left to the CPU (second one not visible on this image)
- GPU on PCIe 1 slot, below the CPU
- mobo 24 pins power connector on the top right

Minimal setup

Edited by Pragmateek - 31 Jul 2016 at 5:16am
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 5:42am
For starters I'd suggest laying your hands on a PC Speaker/Buzzer.

The MB itself doesn't have an in-built one but instead has a 4-pin header with which to connect one.

Rock and a hard place, yet w/o the Dr.Debug LEDs, you now NEED a speaker/buzzer to hear the beeps to diagnose.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2016 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Pragmateek Pragmateek wrote:

Hello all,

I've just built up my new configuration whose main elements are:
- ASRock x99 Extreme4
- Intel i7-5820K
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000Mhz CL15
- NVidia GT GeForce 710

Now when the PC boots up here is what I observe:
- no beep
- no light on the mobo, not even a red one
- all the fans (power supply, case and cooler) are spinning,
- no display, screen does not receive anything.
This state seems stable, the PC does not reboot, at least during 2 minutes, I've not tried any longer.

What I've done so far :
- remove the CPU, doucle-check the socket, and reinstall it
- double-check the 2x4 CPU power connector
- try with a single then 2 RAM modules on A1 and B1 (recommended by the manual),
- plug the GPU into PCIe slot 1
- plug it with VGA instead of HDMI (not sure it has any importance)
- remove the SSD.

So here is what remains on the mobo : the CPU, 2 RAM modules and the GPU. (image below)

I have no clue of what is going wrong as the mobo does not give any kind of feedback.

So my questions are:
- is it normal that the mobo does not beep nor light up some LED?
- what could I check to identify the failing part(s)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here is an image of the minimal setup:
- CPU and its power connector at the top
- RAM modules left to the CPU (second one not visible on this image)
- GPU on PCIe 1 slot, below the CPU
- mobo 24 pins power connector on the top right

Minimal setup

Is the mother board even screwed down onto the standoffs in your case? Hope there are standoffs in the case, otherwise the board is shorting itself to the PC case. Scary stuff!! Shocked

The full model number of the memory will allow checking compatibility.

I imagine you removed the CPU cooler for the picture.

You must supply the POST beep speaker, the board has a header for it, but no built in speaker. Normally, the POST beep option is set to Disabled by default in the UEFI/BIOS. Ouch

What PSU are you using?

The video card does not seem to fill the entire PCIe x16 slot. Is that normal for that card? I guess it is.
Pragmateek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pragmateek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 5:46am
Hi wardog and parsec,

thanks for your answers.

Quote Rock and a hard place, yet w/o the Dr.Debug LEDs, you now NEED a speaker/buzzer to hear the beeps to diagnose.

You're right, probably the mobo is telling something I can't hear because it does not have an integrated beeper.
I've ordered a kit with a beeper hoping to hear something.

Quote Is the mother board even screwed down onto the standoffs in your case? Hope there are standoffs in the case, otherwise the board is shorting itself to the PC case. Scary stuff!!

Yes the mobo is screwed on standoffs. :)

Quote The full model number of the memory will allow checking compatibility.

Corsair CMK16GX4M4B3000C15 Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000Mhz CL15

Quote I imagine you removed the CPU cooler for the picture.

The cooler is not on the photo because it hides the other components (this is a huge Dark Pro 3 :-))
Moreover during my tests I've not felt any heat coming from the CPU so either the mobo is not using it, either it uses it too little to make it heat up.

Quote You must supply the POST beep speaker, the board has a header for it, but no built in speaker. Normally, the POST beep option is set to Disabled by default in the UEFI/BIOS.

But if disabled by default you mean I might not be able to hear beeps even with an external speaker? Shocked

Quote What PSU are you using?

A Be Quiet Straight Power 10 400W

Quote The video card does not seem to fill the entire PCIe x16 slot. Is that normal for that card? I guess it is.

This is a small GPU but I've tried with my old one which fills all the slot without any change.

I've done more tests :
- switch GPUs between my old computer and this build: new GPU is OK on the old one and the old GPU does not change anything to the new build => not an obvious GPU issue
- clear the BIOS with the jumper method, then with a raw CMOS reset, nothing changes => not an obvious BIOS version issue
- use the backup BIOS: same issue => same conclusion
- mount outside the case: same issue => not an obvious short

I'll keep you inform if I manage to get more information with mobo beeps...

Thanks again for your help.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 8:28am
Memory incompatibility? Corsair doesn't list anything for your MB except for 1600Mhz.

Here:
http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2276&model=2297

Shameless plug for the only memory brand I use. G.Skill has tested each kit listed in the above link and Guarantees compatibility.

I'm not familiar with the X99 platform yet if there's one designated slot for only one memory stick with which to boot, I'd give that a try and use Instant Flash to immediately update my BIOS. Then try your Corsair sticks again.

Try anyways. X99's are indeed finicky concerning memory. That Corsair doesn't list them does unfortunately give me pause that this is a compatibility issue with your current sticks.

Edited by wardog - 02 Aug 2016 at 8:29am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 1:02pm
You will not be able to get any beeps from a connected POST beep speaker until you are able to get into the UEFI and enable that option, sorry to say. I am sure of that.

This is your memory, correct: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-16gb-4x4gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m4b3000c15

Your memory model number is only one letter different than other Corsair models in your board's Memory Support list. For example, there is the CMK16GX4M4A2800C16 model, a Vengeance LPX model, of slightly different speed and latency. I wonder if that letter is a color code? Your memory seems as if it should be OK.

The PSU is a bit on the low power side for an X99 platform, but if you don't OC the CPU, and don't have a lot of other hardware, it may be usable. Is this the PSU model:

http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/518

If that is the PSU you have, I'm concerned about an aspect of its design.

This PSU multiple rail design, with three 12V rails, rated at a maximum of 18A each.

The DC wattage of 18A at 12V is, 18A x 12V = 216W.

The maximum combined 12V power in Watts is 384W. Note that this does not include the power draw from the 5V and 3.3V rails.

Three 12V rails at 18A each would be 216W x 3 = 648W. Obviously beyond the 400W continuous and 450W peak power ratings. Again, this calculation ignores the power usage of the 5V and 3.3V rails.

Using the maximum combined 12V power of 384W, that would be 128W for each 12V rail, ignoring the 3.3V and 5V rails.

I cannot see the three 12V rails power distribution for all the cables, usually given on the label on the PSU. My point is multi-rail PSUs need to have their power draw balanced to prevent overload on each rail. Your usage of the PSU is not complicated, and given your hardware, it looks like you'll be Ok.

Try using one DIMM only in the A1 slot. Try another PCIe slot for the video card. The connection to the video card makes no difference, just be sure your monitor will either auto select that input, or switch manually to HDMI, D-Sub, or whatever is in use.

I assume you have a mouse and keyboard connected to the board?
Pragmateek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pragmateek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 6:37am
Thanks again for your help. :)

Originally posted by wardog wardog wrote:

Memory incompatibility? Corsair doesn't list anything for your MB except for 1600Mhz.
Hum indeed, 3000Mhz was maybe too much. :(

Here: http://www.gskill.com/en/configurator?manu=52&chip=2276&model=2297

Shameless plug for the only memory brand I use. G.Skill has tested each kit listed in the above link and Guarantees compatibility.
Thanks for the reference, I may go with G.Skill if the issue is confirmed.

I'm not familiar with the X99 platform yet if there's one designated slot for only one memory stick with which to boot, I'd give that a try and use Instant Flash to immediately update my BIOS. Then try your Corsair sticks again.

Try anyways. X99's are indeed finicky concerning memory. That Corsair doesn't list them does unfortunately give me pause that this is a compatibility issue with your current sticks.
Unfortunately I have no other stick to test that, only old DDR3 sticks from my old PC. :(

Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

You will not be able to get any beeps from a connected POST beep speaker until you are able to get into the UEFI and enable that option, sorry to say. I am sure of that.
You are totally right: I've plugged the beeper but no sound. :(

This is your memory, correct: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vengeance-lpx-16gb-4x4gb-ddr4-dram-3000mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m4b3000c15

Your memory model number is only one letter different than other Corsair models in your board's Memory Support list. For example, there is the CMK16GX4M4A2800C16 model, a Vengeance LPX model, of slightly different speed and latency. I wonder if that letter is a color code? Your memory seems as if it should be OK.
Exactly this one.
If not compatible that would be quite subtle.

The PSU is a bit on the low power side for an X99 platform, but if you don't OC the CPU, and don't have a lot of other hardware, it may be usable. Is this the PSU model:

http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/518
Yes this one.
As of now I won't OC and I won't play games.

If that is the PSU you have, I'm concerned about an aspect of its design.
This PSU multiple rail design, with three 12V rails, rated at a maximum of 18A each. 
The DC wattage of 18A at 12V is, 18A x 12V = 216W.
The maximum combined 12V power in Watts is 384W. Note that this does not include the power draw from the 5V and 3.3V rails.
Three 12V rails at 18A each would be 216W x 3 = 648W. Obviously beyond the 400W continuous and 450W peak power ratings. Again, this calculation ignores the power usage of the 5V and 3.3V rails.
Using the maximum combined 12V power of 384W, that would be 128W for each 12V rail, ignoring the 3.3V and 5V rails.
I cannot see the three 12V rails power distribution for all the cables, usually given on the label on the PSU. My point is multi-rail PSUs need to have their power draw balanced to prevent overload on each rail. Your usage of the PSU is not complicated, and given your hardware, it looks like you'll be Ok.
Only two rails are used: the ATX 24 pins and the CPU one.
And the GPU is directly powered by the PCIe.
So indeed should be OK, especially at boot time.

[QUOTE=parsec]Try using one DIMM only in the A1 slot. Try another PCIe slot for the video card. The connection to the video card makes no difference, just be sure your monitor will either auto select that input, or switch manually to HDMI, D-Sub, or whatever is in use.[/QUOTE]
I've tried again with only one stick in A1 without success.

[QUOTE=parsec]I assume you have a mouse and keyboard connected to the board?[/QUOTE]
Not for the above tests.
I've tried with a PS2 keyboard and USB mouse without any change.
Should it make any difference?

Note that I've observed a strange behavior when booting:
- the fans starts to spin for 2 seconds then stop,
- the PC reboots and then the fans run "endlessly".
I'm wondering what it could mean...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic