ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

[H81M HDS] Multiple Power On Attempts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sephren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sephren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [H81M HDS] Multiple Power On Attempts
    Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 11:34pm
I cleared the CMOS as described in another thread and replaced the battery. For now everything seems to work fine again. Let's keep fingers crossed it stays like that :-)
sephren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sephren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2016 at 4:28pm
Same board, same problem. Totally random boot-ups. Sometimes it works with pushing the button twice, sometimes you have to push it twenty times until it boots.

I bought a new PSU, problem persisted. Switched power and reset buttons - didn't work either. Everytime i work on the problem, it seems to be solved. Few hours later - problem reoccurs.

Bridging power pins with screw driver worked fine, but it's extremely difficult to verify if that's a reliable test case, because switching buttons seemed to work fine, too. 

Will switch the battery, thanks for advice. See if it works. If not, i'll buy a MSI board...

Edited by sephren - 19 Aug 2016 at 4:55pm
K9Sports View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K9Sports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:01am
Great, and the MB warrantee is pretty much worthless since I can't contact ASRock.  Live and learn, I guess.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 10:59am
Originally posted by K9Sports K9Sports wrote:

Recently, it takes multiple attempts to power on my computer.  Fans won't spin, lights won't turn on, nothing.  It takes about 10-15 pushes of the power button to get it going but works fine after that.  Rebooting works fine too.

Changed PSU, same.
Unplugged everything except PSU, same.
Changed case, same.

Only thing I can think of is MB. 

Any other recommendations?

4GB RAM
2TB WD Drive
750w PSU
No additional sound or graphics card
Plugged into a UPS.  Tested it without the UPS, no change.

Damn.. guess no one has an answer.

You (we) wish there was one simple answer for this problem.

If you changed the PSU, and the PC case, which means a different power switch, all that is left is the board. You could try changing the battery in the board, it is a CR2032, the same on all mother boards.

You could try shorting the two pins on the System Panel Header where the two wires from the power switch are connected, with a small screwdriver. If the board started immediately, that would actually be strange. It would mean either the other PC case has a bad switch or wires, or the other PSU is bad too.

Otherwise it is impossible without test equipment to diagnose the mother board. If the System Panel Header, where the power switch is connected, is loose, you know the board is shot.
K9Sports View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K9Sports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 8:47am
Damn.. guess no one has an answer.
K9Sports View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K9Sports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 1:26pm
Oh.. and an i5 cpu.
K9Sports View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K9Sports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 1:03pm
4GB RAM
2TB WD Drive
750w PSU
No additional sound or graphics card
Plugged into a UPS.  Tested it without the UPS, no change.

wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 12:32pm
Please list out your current system specs.

Is the PSU plugged into a power/lightning/surge strip?
K9Sports View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K9Sports Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2016 at 11:47am
Recently, it takes multiple attempts to power on my computer.  Fans won't spin, lights won't turn on, nothing.  It takes about 10-15 pushes of the power button to get it going but works fine after that.  Rebooting works fine too.

Changed PSU, same.
Unplugged everything except PSU, same.
Changed case, same.

Only thing I can think of is MB. 

Any other recommendations?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic