ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

z97 extreme 6 hwinfo auxtin3 104 C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyDingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: z97 extreme 6 hwinfo auxtin3 104 C
    Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 8:16am
Hi,
when I look at hwinfo on my z97 extreme 6 there's an autin3 temp reading of 104 degrees centigrade.
Can anyone suggest what that might be?  Am I right in thinking that's a little hot?
Everything seems to be running well, though I've been having troubles with wifi adapter for a while.
In setting this up, I did wonder if there might be a heat problem there - the intel AC 7260 wifi adapter sits right under my sm951 drive.  Might this be the hot spot?

I may make a separate post a little later re the wifi, to see if anyone has some advice, but for now I'd really like to sort out the temperature issue.

Thank you.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 12:04pm
I am willing to bet it is a false reading, monitoring apps are not foolproof. The developers have access to a limited number of boards/sensor configs to work with so more often than not a sensor is misread. If all your temps look good in your BIOS then there is usually nothing to worry about. The fact that the sensor name is a little obscure would further indicate an error in the monitoring app. If the high temp were on one of the core sensors like CPU, Package etc then it would be cause for concern, these sensors tend to be standardized and are far less likely to be misread by monitoring apps.

If you are concerned there is a problem you can easily check. 104c is hot enough that it will radiate heat inside your PC. Open up your case and move your hand around about 1 - 3cm or an inch over the board and see if you can feel any hot spots. If not then you can put your concerns to rest. You can also look up and try a few different monitoring apps and see if there is correlation between them.
CrazyDingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyDingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 2:40pm
Thanks Xaltar,
I ran my hand around and couldn't feel any hot noticeably areas.
I may try correlating with another other app at some later point but it looks like your right on this.

Kind regards
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 4:27pm
Happy to help Thumbs Up

Take a look at some of the other more popular monitoring apps and give them a try. Another good test is to check the temps for fluctuation on that sensor, if the value is fixed and unaffected by idle vs stressing the system it is almost certainly misread. 

Edited by Xaltar - 14 Aug 2016 at 4:28pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyDingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:33am
As a precaution I've removed the Intel wifi card (which I'm struggle to get good service out of anyway).
The temp is still reported 105C, everything is working fine, still can't feel any warm spots.  I will get around to trying a different app eventually but again I think you're right, nothing in my pc is that hot.
Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyDingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 12:24pm
I tried aida64 - didn't show anything hot but the trial version won't show me the samsung drive temperatures.  hwinfo now showing 104C again; auxtin1 current 0, max 125 so its still looking like an artefact (and I'm wondering if auxtin 1 is where the intel wifi card was plugged in).  One other thing I could check is whether any of the samsung software for these drives will display the temperature.

Edited by CrazyDingo - 16 Aug 2016 at 12:25pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 1:12pm
HWiNFO is IMO the best monitoring program. I don't include things like AIDA64 in the same category, since it is also a stress testing application. AIDA64 has better graphs, but does not provide all the information I get from HWiNFO.

Every board has unused sensor outputs. If their values are out of the normal range of what we would expect, it is likely an unused sensor output displaying random data. If the value does not change at all, or changes from 0 to 125, it is not a valid reading.

HWiNFO shows the temperature of the Samsung 950 Pro, Samsung SM951, Intel 750, and OCZ RD400. All SATA drives with temperature outputs should be shown, unless they are part of a RAID array, which confuses things and you don't get data from each drive in the RAID array. The same is true for any drive in a RAID array, like a 950 Pro, etc.

If you are not getting the 950 Pro temperature reading in HWiNFO, and it is not in a RAID array, try using Fixed Order in the Configuration, Layout tab. Then in the Custom tab, check all the drive information SMART entries, if you use custom names. When you add or remove drives from the board, the custom name may not match the drive that the data belongs to.

The Samsung Magician software only shows a Temperature reading in the SMART data display, which is supposed to be in degrees Kelvin. Confused  I tried to do a conversion of my 950 Pro temperature data from the Magician SMART data, showing 131K, which converts to about -143C. It is raw data, meaning not in a meaningful format, so why call it a 'K' temperature reading? Typical Samsung, anything that might appear negative about their products is hidden by them as much as possible, at least in what they can control.

The AIDA64 Engineer (free) edition shows all my M.2 SSD temperatures, in the Stress Test, Temperature window, numerically and graphically. You may need to configure the Temperature display to show all your drives.

If your 950 Pro was at 100C, it would at least be throttling itself, if not shutting itself off. Throttling starts at ~70C for a 950 Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyDingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 8:12pm
Thanks parsec.
Yes, you're right HWInfo does show the Samsung drive temperatures - current 19C and 28C, clearly not auxtin3 that's currently 103C and probably a spurioius reading.  (I just hadn't looked closely enough for the Samsung temperatures in hwinfo.)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic