ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

X570 Steel Legend BIOS update gone wrong

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: X570 Steel Legend BIOS update gone wrong
    Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 4:01pm
Hi all,

I have updated the bios on my X570 Steel Legend from 2.30 to 5.60, but unfotrunately made a big mistake. By reading the note on the BIOS download page, I interpreted the thing exactly opposite than what it said. So basically I ended up doing the update with a 5000G-Series installed instead of installing one of the recommended CPUs first.

Needless to say, now the system doesn't POST. The LEDs blink for a while while checking and then the two leftmost stay on. I already tried to short the CMOS jumper (several times even) and replacing the CPU with a Vermeer (one of the recommended ones, but, obviously, after the damage was done). Tried several HDMI-ports of the two installed graphics cards (Nvidia GTX1660 Super) and the built in one, restarted several times, all to no avail.

The question is if there's anything else I can try before I throw the thing away?

Is the default setup after resetting the CMOS to use the built-in graphics or an external graphics card?

For what it's worth, the system was working fine before I had the great idea to try the new BIOS and understand the instructions backwards.

The CPU is a Ryzen 5 5600G, there are 16GB RAM (don't remember the brand) and several HD, one of them a Samsung 980 Nvme (boot drive).

Thanks.
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 6:56pm
Something doesn't add up here. Their CPU Support list says that 5000G-series wasn't supported until 3.60.

So I don't understand how you were able to get into BIOS to flash it at all. I'd think it wouldn't even have booted with 2.30 and 5000G-series combination.

Also, the instructions are a bit confusing, but I don't think flashing to 5.60 using 5000G-series is a problem.

Did the Instant Flash screen indicate 100% complete?

Try taking the CMOS battery out and shorting the jumper, and then putting the battery back in.
Elfc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 8:24pm
You catch me off guard here. It's possible that I'm confusing the BIOS version with that of another computer I have, but now I can't go back and doublecheck on the version that was installed because, like I said, I did the update and the previous version is gone.

Let's assume the CPU Support List is correct and it was indeed Version 3.60. I know for sure that the computer worked flawlessly with Ubuntu 22.04 for 503 Days and a few hours before I shut it down for maintenance. (There's when I decided I wanted an updated BIOS even though it was working fine. Bad idea!)

It says in the BIOS Updates List under 5.60, "*To support Ryzen 5000 G-series processors, it requires to update the BIOS with Matisse, Renoir or Vermeer CPU." What is not clear to me is if that's true coming from any previous version of the BIOS or only from pre-3.60.

The Instant Flash screen said the update was successful.

At any rate I will give a try to your suggestion and remove the battery too, besides shorting the jumper again.

Do you by any chance know if after resetting the BIOS it will try to use the on-board graphic of the processor or the external graphics card? I did try all HDMI-ports I found and none of them gave me anything on the monitor, but just so to know...
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 8:51pm
In my opinion, if the board already had a BIOS that supported 5000G-series, then flashing to newer BIOS from that point on would NOT require Matisse, Renoir or Vermeer CPU. That just would not make sense, since Cezanne is newer than Renoir.

Now, I suppose it's possible for an older BIOS that doesn't OFFICIALLY support 5000G-series to boot into BIOS anyway. And if this is the case, anything can go wrong. And if this is what happened, the only way to recover the board may be to program the BIOS chip using an external EEPROM programmer. There are clip-on units that may or may not work, depending on board design. And of course, the worst case scenario is that the EEPROM chip would need to be desoldered from the board to be programmed.

If you have a dGPU installed, I believe the BIOS default is to use that (PEG - PCIe Graphics), rather than iGPU.
Elfc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Elfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 3:10pm
Thanks again for your help. It's solved. All I had to do is choose the right graphics card and wait a little longer. It POSTed right after a few minutes. I just wasn't waiting long enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic