ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAM not working at full clock speed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cherryblossomstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAM not working at full clock speed
    Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 4:56am
See sig for full system specs. 

ASRock z170 extreme4 motherboard. My ram is rated for 3000mhz, CPU-Z shows 1076mhz. I've been told that such programs often report half the speed, and I'm really getting around 2100mhz. Still not the advertised speed. 

I've enabled xpm "profile 1" in the bios, that didn't seem to help. Does that "enable" xmp?

I've been told disabling turbo boost may fix this? I can't figure out how to disable it however.

When I go into the overclocking settings, it tells me the "target" memory speed is 2166mhz. 

Build:
ASRock Z170 Extreme4
Intel i5-6600k @ 3.5mhz
EVGA 2x8gb DDR4 3000mhz RAM
Sapphire rx480 8gb
Evo Hyper-212 Air Cooler
Corsair Vengeance C70 Case
1080p@60hz 40" LED TV
Stilgar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stilgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 5:48am
I just registered to ask about precisely the same problem so I guess I will just use this thread.

I got
ASRock Z170 Extreme 4
i5 6600K
HyperX HX432C16PB3K2/16 (2x8GB DDR4 3200).

Both CPU-Z and UEFI say the memory is running as DDR4-2400 (1200Mhz). Tried to force it to run as 3200 through the overclocking menu and via the XMP profile but just ended up with boot guard telling me several boot attempts were unsuccessful and reverting to DDR4-2400. This memory is not in the list of supported memory ( http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/index.us.asp?cat=Memory&Model=Z170 Extreme4&Vendor=HyperX ). Also update the BIOS to the latest version (3.40 I think) but the problem still persists.

Thanks in advance for any help.
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by Stilgar Stilgar wrote:

I just registered to ask about precisely the same problem so I guess I will just use this thread.

I got
ASRock Z170 Extreme 4
i5 6600K
HyperX HX432C16PB3K2/16 (2x8GB DDR4 3200).

Both CPU-Z and UEFI say the memory is running as DDR4-2400 (1200Mhz). Tried to force it to run as 3200 through the overclocking menu and via the XMP profile but just ended up with boot guard telling me several boot attempts were unsuccessful and reverting to DDR4-2400. This memory is not in the list of supported memory ( http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170%20Extreme4/index.us.asp?cat=Memory&Model=Z170 Extreme4&Vendor=HyperX ). Also update the BIOS to the latest version (3.40 I think) but the problem still persists.

Thanks in advance for any help.

May be a compatibility issue.

Of the 30 HyperX Modules/Kits Kingston lists, they only state compatibility of up to 2666 memory compatible for/with your Z170 Extreme4.

http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=7&Mfr=ASR&Line=Motherboard&Model=93033

You should contact Kingston and inquire of compatibility of the specific kit you have.

http://www.hyperxgaming.com/us/support/technical/products?model=memory

Edited to include HyperX compatible modules/kits

Edited by wardog - 27 Aug 2016 at 12:14pm
Stilgar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stilgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 12:15am
@wardog thanks. It seems like I should be more careful when choosing RAM. The support page requires a revision number and I don't know where to find that. I will look into it again.

In other news it seems like I was doing overclocking wrong. My overclock settings weren't applied. Seems like the reason was I didn't create a profile. When I did I was able to increase the RAM frequency but only to DDR4-2800 as 3000 fails to boot. I also tried to apply the XMP profile timings. I really hope that 15-17-17-36 in the XMP Profile 2 means that I can set the CAS Latency to 15, RAS to CAS Delay and Row Percentage (tRCDtRDP) to 17 and RAS Active Time (tRAS) to 36 while the RAM is running as DDR4-2800. I did a 2 hour test with IntelBurn Test stress tool and played the new DooM for a couple of hours with no issues so it gives me some confidence that I am doing things right.

I think I can just wait and hope for a bios update that adds support for this memory.
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2016 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Stilgar Stilgar wrote:

@wardog thanks. It seems like I should be more careful when choosing RAM. The support page requires a revision number and I don't know where to find that. I will look into it again.

In other news it seems like I was doing overclocking wrong. My overclock settings weren't applied. Seems like the reason was I didn't create a profile. When I did I was able to increase the RAM frequency but only to DDR4-2800 as 3000 fails to boot. I also tried to apply the XMP profile timings. I really hope that 15-17-17-36 in the XMP Profile 2 means that I can set the CAS Latency to 15, RAS to CAS Delay and Row Percentage (tRCDtRDP) to 17 and RAS Active Time (tRAS) to 36 while the RAM is running as DDR4-2800. I did a 2 hour test with IntelBurn Test stress tool and played the new DooM for a couple of hours with no issues so it gives me some confidence that I am doing things right.

I think I can just wait and hope for a bios update that adds support for this memory.

Skylake 'K' processors are guaranteed by Intel to work with DDR4 memory at speeds up to 2133. Any memory speed above that is an over clock, and not guaranteed.

http://ark.intel.com/products/88191/Intel-Core-i5-6600K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz#@specifications

The quality of the memory controller in your CPU, the quality of the connections between the DIMM slots and the CPU socket, and the quality of the DDR4 memory are all variables in the memory over clock lottery. None of those things are affected by a BIOS update.

The two current Intel platforms that support DDR4 memory, X99 and Skylake, have differing requirements regarding memory parameters, such as VCCIO and VCCSA voltages, among others.

That means the XMP profile for DDR4 used in X99 systems is not 100% compatible with Skylake systems. Memory manufactures don't like dealing with that, or having separate memory models for both platforms.

I have both systems, and have yet to see an XMP profile that works perfectly on either of them. Of course I have not used that many models of memory, so I cannot say that is true of all DDR4 memory. I have learned that XMP profiles are similar to built in/automatic CPU over clocking profiles in the UEFI/BIOS, regarding the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages. Their values are set much higher than necessary for some processors, but again they are dealing with variables and chance.

What are the values for VCCIO and VCCSA voltages when you use the 3200 XMP profile?
Stilgar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stilgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2016 at 12:16am
@parsec The voltages in the UEFI/BIOS seem to be set to 1.1 for VCCIO and 1.2 for VCCSA. I am not sure this is affected by the XMP profile I choose.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic