ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Newly bought X99 WS cannot boot with E5-1650 v4
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newly bought X99 WS cannot boot with E5-1650 v4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alefsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newly bought X99 WS cannot boot with E5-1650 v4
    Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 5:21am
Hi,

I have  bought a new X99 WS to be used with an Intel E5-1650 v4. However, when I turn the system on, I get the error code 19. I tried various DDR4 RAM modules (with and without ECC) and it did not help. I am pretty sure the problem is not there.

My guess is that the BIOS of the motherboard is an older version, thus as the support forE5-1650 v4 has been added only at BIOS version P3.10, the motherboard fails to recognize the CPU and cannot boot.

So the question is, how I can get it to work? I don't have any other 2011-v3 CPUs. Is there a way to get a BIOS chip with the latest version already programmed? How? If not, is there any other solution?

Thanks,
AlefSin
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 6:30am
alefsin,

Directly above the Dr.Debug LEDs lie your two BIOS chips. Assuming it is new, there are two stickers that cover the chips with the current BIOS revision printed on them, as shipped from the factory.

What is printed on the stickers?

If it is below 3.10 you can request a BIOS chip from ASRock. There's a good chance they will outright ship one to you. It's not unknown for  them to do this for you. If not they are $15.00.

http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp
alefsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alefsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 7:27am
Thanks a lot for your answer. I'll check the BIOS version the way you explained. Hopefully this is the source of the problem then I can go ahead and order a replacement chip.

Cheers,
AlefSin
wardog View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wardog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:22am
Keep us posted please.
alefsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alefsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 3:28am
Hi,

Just an update regarding the issue:

I checked the motherboard and indeed, the BIOS was and old version (P1.60). I contacted ASRock using the link wardog provided, explaining in details what has happened and specifically asked for a new BIOS chip. Till today I have receive 0 reply from ASRock....very disappointing.

As I was somewhat expecting poor support from ASrock, at the same time I ordered a BIOS chip from bios-chip24.de. I received the chip yesterday and after replacing one the chips on the board with it, the motherboard booted with no issue at all. Today I finished setting up the system with Windows 10 and I have a very stable and fast system!

It is a shame that ASRock is still selling motherboards with older BIOS versions, but is it worse that their support is not responsive. Anyway, I'd like to thank wardog and bios-chip24 helping me solve the problem!

Cheers,
AlefSin

Edited by alefsin - 02 Sep 2016 at 3:30am
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 9:48am
Originally posted by alefsin alefsin wrote:

Hi,

Just an update regarding the issue:

I checked the motherboard and indeed, the BIOS was and old version (P1.60). I contacted ASRock using the link wardog provided, explaining in details what has happened and specifically asked for a new BIOS chip. Till today I have receive 0 reply from ASRock....very disappointing.

As I was somewhat expecting poor support from ASrock, at the same time I ordered a BIOS chip from bios-chip24.de. I received the chip yesterday and after replacing one the chips on the board with it, the motherboard booted with no issue at all. Today I finished setting up the system with Windows 10 and I have a very stable and fast system!

It is a shame that ASRock is still selling motherboards with older BIOS versions, but is it worse that their support is not responsive. Anyway, I'd like to thank wardog and bios-chip24 helping me solve the problem!

Cheers,
AlefSin

The best method of requesting a new UEFI chip is with this link:

http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=RMA

While that page lists a price for a new chip, in your situation I believe there will be little or no charge.

Regarding ASRock selling boards with older UEFI/BIOS versions, please consider some basic realities.

Mother board production is not done on a continuous basis, meaning a production run of one board model will be done in a large quantity, and then stopped. If that model's stock in ASRock's warehouse becomes low, more boards will be made at the production facility.

In general, X99 boards sell at a much lower volume than other, more mainstream mother boards, and less expensive boards. Considering the price range of X99 compatible processors compared to other Intel processors, an X99 system is a serious investment for most people, and not something most of us have.

Within ASRock X99 board models, the X99 WS is likely not a top seller, because it is not a "gaming" or "over clocking" oriented board. Therefore the amount of production is lower than other boards, and the chance of getting an earlier production board is greater.

The release of Broadwell-E processors, the only new processor model that can replace the original Haswell-E processors, occurred 20 months after Haswell-E was released. That's almost two years.

Can we expect, or is it even possible, for a mother board manufacture to recall their existing stock of X99 boards to replace the UEFI chips with Broadwell-E compatible UEFI versions? UEFI updates to support Broadwell-E were released by ASRock in March and April of 2016, prior to the official release of Broadwell-E processors, which was June, 2016. Broadwell-E has not been with us for very long at all.

Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 1:14pm
Exactly.

Also bare in mind that if you buy a board from a reseller then you also have no way of knowing how long they have had it in stock. When I was in the biz of selling PCs and parts I would often have stock sitting on my shelves for a year or more.
ArvUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArvUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2016 at 4:38am
You all raise some very good points regarding production runs of non mass production motherboards. It would be very handy if there was a kind of "emulate" generation 1 cpu option in these motherboards to enable later buyers to use online BIOS flash utility in UEFI to update to newer versions.
alefsin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alefsin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2016 at 6:09am
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

The best method of requesting a new UEFI chip is with this link:

http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=RMA

While that page lists a price for a new chip, in your situation I believe there will be little or no charge.

Well, as far as contacting ASRock goes, I did follow the instructions on that page and up till now have received no answer. Notice that I don't live in the US so the only avenue to contact ASRock according to that RMA page is (http://event.asrock.com/tsd.asp); i.e. the same link posted by wardog.

I understand all the difficulties around building special MBs and keeping the BIOS up to date, but at the end of the day, ASRock could at least put a warning on the webpage of the product regarding the issue with newer CPUs and provide a direct link to support customers like me. Had I not asked on these forums, I might as well be still swapping DRAM modules, thinking this is a problem with my ECC memory modules.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic