ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

weird issues with second drive

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomlintm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by parsec parsec wrote:

What they are trying to tell you above is, when you install Windows with more than one drive running on a PC, Windows will put the System/boot partition on another drive. That is independent of choosing where Windows will be installed. But that does not seem to be the case here.

Regardless of what the SMART data shows, that drive might be starting to go bad.

You said you changed SATA cables, was that just the data cable(s), or did you reconnect the SATA power cable, or use a different SATA power cable from your PSU?

When you installed your 480, maybe something got bumped, moved, etc, that affected that drive, which is usually the cables.

Can you check the temperature of that drive? HWiNFO and AIDA64 can do that. If your 480 is dumping its heat into the PC case, and that drive is getting cooked by it, that's not good.

If you open your Windows Power Plan, and go to Change advanced power settings, under Hard disk, what is the Turn off hard disk after Setting set to? Try setting it to Never for a while, for a test.

Any chance that drive in on the SATA3_5 port? If so, in the UEFI/BIOS, Advanced, Storage Configuration screen, set SATA IDE Combined Mode to Disabled. It is Enabled by default. There is no reason to enable this option with modern HDDs.

Also on the same screen, set Aggressive Link Power Management to Disabled.

Unless this would be a pain or impossible for you to do, copy all the files off that drive to another drive, and then do a Full (not Quick) format of that drive. Yes that is in a sense torturing that drive, but if it is close to failing, that could send it over the edge. That format would also detect bad sectors, etc, and keep them off the available storage list. But chkdsk should have done that.

i used unopen sata cables but not power sata cables

my rx480 is a reference model plus i have 9 fans in my case one is a 230mm blowing right on the ssd and hdd keeping the around 30c

the turn off hdd after is always set to never

the drive is not connected to drive sata3_5

i was always wonder about that setting so i will disable both of them

im already way head of you after i got my new 850w 80+platnium psu and it still did it with the hdd i took a 1.5tb hdd that i had laying around put it on sata 3_5 and tranfer my files  from my 1tb to my 1.5tb and the 1tb was even disconnecting in the middle of transfering files so i had to baby it to get files over to it i lost all game files but not my saves bc there on my ssd

so as of right now im testing a psu and hdd

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic