ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can boot into OS but not into BIOS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roeeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can boot into OS but not into BIOS
    Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 6:47am
Hi,

I just upgraded my PC with a new CPU and new RAM sticks.
After the upgrade my PC works fine (Can load Windows and Linux - using dual boot) however, I cannot access BIOS.
It seems like I am getting stuck on error codes related to memory when trying to enter BIOS. Last I saw was code 50. Again, the PC works fine in the OS.

CPU was just upgraded from a 2700x, memory was just upgraded from a slower memory with only 16GB in total. (Crucial Ballistix Sports)

My new PC specs after the upgrade are:

Motherboard: x470 Taichi (BIOS Version: 10.10)
CPU: Ryzen 5950x
Memory: Corsair vengeance LPX 64GB (32x2) - CMK64GX4M2D3600C18
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 Ti

Is the RAM that I got not compatible? Why would it work then when not accessing BIOS?
eccential View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eccential Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 10:11pm
Did you do full CMOS reset after the upgrade? (CMOS battery removal, and shorting the CMOS reset jumper).

It might help to completely reset and start over, since the 2700X to 5950X upgrade is significant.
roeeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roeeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 12:49am
I did reset my CMOS but not the way you suggested. I just clicked on the reset CMOS button on the motherboard. I know it did reset it because it took longer to put (and had some restarts)
roeeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roeeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 12:49am
Originally posted by roeeka roeeka wrote:

I did reset my CMOS but not the way you suggested. I just clicked on the reset CMOS button on the motherboard. I know it did reset it because it took longer to put (and had some restarts)

I can't edit for some reason. I meant longer to boot.
inline4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote inline4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2024 at 5:48am
There was an NVidia firmware update for non-display of BIOS on GTX 1xxx series cards:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

I'm not sure why changing the CPU and RAM would trigger the error, but it is worth checking if the update is needed for your GPU.
roeeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roeeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 6:57am
Originally posted by inline4 inline4 wrote:

There was an NVidia firmware update for non-display of BIOS on GTX 1xxx series cards:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

I'm not sure why changing the CPU and RAM would trigger the error, but it is worth checking if the update is needed for your GPU.

Thanks for the suggestion. Seems like I am already updated so that wasn't it.
Is it possible that my CPU or motherboard have problems with 3600Mhz memory?
roeeka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roeeka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2024 at 7:10pm
Asrock motherboard specification shows up to 3200Mhz support for 5000 series cpus. Could it be that I can't load bios because my new memory is 3600Mhz?

If that is the case I wonder why it would work with the OS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic