ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > AMD Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asrock A620I will not boot with dual ram

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asrock A620I will not boot with dual ram
    Posted: 12 Apr 2024 at 9:37am
I built a new rig with the Asrock A620I last week and I have gone through every conceivable troubleshooting step possible to get it to boot with dual ram and it just won't. Is this a known issue with Asrock motherboards?
It will only boot with one stick of ram.
I'm going for 32gb ram total (2x16gb)both sets of ram I've bought are on the supported list and in a kit. I first had Vengeance DDR5 and it did the same thing as the new tridentz5's I bought to see if it just didn't like vengeance for some reason. Both sets of ram work, I've tested them, just they won't boot up the computer if I put both in at once.
I've done everything from reseating the CPU to resetting bios, getting a different brand of ram (both are on the supported list)and nothing works.
Parts list for the computer is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xBkft7
Some help would be appreciated or I'm going to have to return the MotherBoard.
JCT3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCT3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 4:38am
Sounds familiar, just installed a new B550M-HDV today and I get the same won't boot situation. Any help yet as to what's up or hack??
Angelz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angelz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 9:19am
I messed with it for over a week myself and then had a friend of mine look at it who has built computers for over 30 years. We eliminated issues with every other part in the computer. The motherboard was bad.
Xaltar View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaltar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 3:45pm
Typically when this happens the issue is either the RAM (easily tested one stick
at a time), the CPU or the motherboard. Most commonly the RAM is not being fully
engaged in one of the slots and simply requires a bit more pressure to get it
to seat all the way. If that doesn't work then I find it's typically the CPU that
has a bad channel on the memory controller.

The CPU is tricky to check but the best you can usually do if you don't have a spare
to test with is to test a single stick of RAM in each slot, if one bank doesn't
work then the CPU may have a bad memory controller channel. This is easier when there
are 4 RAM slots as it's unlikely that both of the RAM slots on a given channel
are defective on the motherboard.

Make sure the RAM is fully seated in both slots, sometimes a slot can be a tight
fit and require a bit more force to properly seat the RAM.

Just mentioning all this for anyone else experiencing this issue. Based on the
number of occurrences of this issue on the forums the issue is most often the
CPU but the RAM and motherboard can also be responsible.

Unfortunately, with process nodes being so small and chip densities being so
high, DOA/defective CPUs have become fairly common, still rare but nowhere near
as rare as it used to be. With motherboards it's usually a case of either a defective
slot or damage to the traces. This is far less common given how rigorously things
like this are tested and the relative simplicity of a motherboard vs a CPU.

Hope this is helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic