ASRock.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical Support > Intel Motherboards
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search Search  Events   Register Register  Login Login

Won't Boot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no1yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Won't Boot
    Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 9:22pm
I have a Z97 Extreme 6 MB. On switch on it continually stops and restarts. I've tried it without memory, GPU and a new PSU and finally with a different CPU.

The CPU fan runs and so do my two front case fans but the rear fan doesn't on switch on.
Tried removing the cmos battery, no difference. So the thing just switches on and off. Can't even get to bios.

Everything was working fine until I powered down. Anyone have any ideas on what I can try next.
Thanks in advance.    

Pete.

Edited by no1yak - 26 Sep 2016 at 9:24pm
parsec View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parsec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by no1yak no1yak wrote:

I have a Z97 Extreme 6 MB. On switch on it continually stops and restarts. I've tried it without memory, GPU and a new PSU and finally with a different CPU.

The CPU fan runs and so do my two front case fans but the rear fan doesn't on switch on.
Tried removing the cmos battery, no difference. So the thing just switches on and off. Can't even get to bios.

Everything was working fine until I powered down. Anyone have any ideas on what I can try next.
Thanks in advance.    

Pete.

Did you clear the UEFI/BIOS with the jumper or CLR CMOS button on the board's IO panel? The button is the easiest way, just turn off the PSU, unplug it from AC power, let it sit for a minute, then press and hold the button for several seconds. That will reset the BIOS settings to their defaults, and you will need to reset any settings you use... if it starts and gets that far.

You said the PC starts and stops/restarts, which happens quickly I imagine, but did you check the Dr Debug display on the board for POST codes? It's located just below the blue heat sink for the chipset, at the lower right side of the board.

Do you get anything at all on your monitor?

If the rear fan that does not start is connected to the mother board, that is not a good sign about the board, which may have gone bad.

If you use a wired network connection, do you see the small LEDs next to the network input jacks light up when a cable is connected? That is, with the PC shutdown, but the PSU on?

You can try disconnecting power to all your drives, and disconnecting all devices on USB ports. With no keyboard or mouse connected, POST will fail and a code will be displayed, but if it got that far, that indicates a problem with one of those devices.

Removing/disconnecting components until you just have the CPU and memory in the board, will eliminate those parts as the cause of your problem. That includes the network cable, or wireless adapter.

The board will not start without memory, it cannot work without it. If you have some other memory you can use, remove your current memory and try just one DIMM in the A2 slot. Also clear the BIOS before starting the PC after changing the memory.

Electronic components can fail without any warning, and a mother board has hundreds of them. Their failure can be completely random and seemingly not related to any specific action, like powering down the PC.
no1yak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote no1yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 5:42pm
Thanks for your reply Parsec, I've cleared the CMOS with jumper, removed the battery, tried different memory(GSkill and Corsair) one slot at a time. Dr Debug flashes "00". Checked for bent pins on CPU socket - none. No Vid signal.

Have tried the board with  everything disconnected except one stick of memory, still no post. The debug code "00" flashes on for less than a second, CPU fan and case fans turn off then it repeats the cycle over again. Also the LAN connection is flashing.

Put my old Z87 board back in and used all the same components that the Z97 board used and everything works, so the Z97 has to be toast.

Pete.

Edited by no1yak - 27 Sep 2016 at 5:48pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic